trying to revive a fender 160

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to revive a fender 160

hey everybody, I'm hoping somebody with some knowledge on fender amps can help me with this fender 160 that I got from a body who has given it up an dubbed it "broken". I feel that this can be revived with a little bit of work and elbow grease, so here's the symptoms: the amp turns on and channel one is the only one that actually works...kinda, it hisses steadily with a guitar attached or not and their is also a good amount of static despite it being the "clean" channel. If I try to engage channel 2 the light turns on, but the controls don't work and it is still controlled by channel 1's pots despite the channel being switched and the light changing. Last, but not least the "more drive button" mechanically works but the light doesn't turn and their doesn't seem to be an audible difference either. Well my works cut out for me so if anybody out their knows their stuff let me know, because I for sure do not!

Welcome to the place.

Is the amp you are asking about a Fender Stage 160?

Not knowing what level your skill set is at, I'll start by saying that the good news is that if it powers up without blowing a fuse, you may be right in that it can be fixed up. But in order to fix it, you will need to open the amp up, measure voltages and perform tests while the amp is plugged in and turned on. What sort of soldering skills do you have? What sorts of test equipment?

There are two power supplies in this amp, one is for the power amp section that should have about + and - 45 volts dc and the other is for the preamp section and should have + and - 16 volts dc. From you description, I'd start by checking the 16 volts supplies.

Comment

thanks, and yes it is a stage 160

Comment

Working...
      X