No announcement yet.

Need a new DMM. Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know... The male salmon will swim over a thousand miles upstream to mate! This is NOTHING compared to what I'll do of course. But if you've ever slept with a salmon you know it's hardly worth it.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

You mean they are not ALL cold fish?

Alternate:
      knock knock
      who's there
      Sam and Janet...
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Knock knock...
        Who's there?
        Dr.
        Dr. who?
        *Sings Dr. Who theme tune*

The fuses in Fluke meters are expensive because they are rated for industrial-grade screwups, like when you try to measure the voltage of a subway third rail with the prods accidentally still in the "Amps" sockets. A cheap meter would be completely destroyed. It might even explode and injure the user, but the fancy 7 dollar fuse in the Fluke will break the circuit safely, and the meter and its user will live on to prod plenty more things.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Well I pulled the trigger on a no suffix Fluke 87 with probes and soft case that looks brand new, including the plastic screen protector. I paid about what they go for ($137 US) but this one looks like it lived in the case and the case lived in a tool box. As in, some scuffs on the case and not even any plug scratches on the meter. Oh, and it has the gray bumper surround. Which I like better than the ugly yellow one. Not really a relevant issue but nice just the same. I think I did alright.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

We have carried half a dozen Fluke 77's in toolboxes for over 20 years and they all still work. For everyday use I would never consider anything else.

Comment

I got a refurbed Fluke 77 on ebay for about $120, and I am very happy with it.
              It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                Well I pulled the trigger on a no suffix Fluke 87 ...
                Yay for the 87. The only problem is soon you'll have to get another...

Click image for larger version

Name:	FR7710problem.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	830916

Comment

I think I see an old HP "Dynamic Signal Analyzer" too!
                  "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I'm small time. One and a couple of cheapie backups is enough. In fact my meter only rarely leaves my bench so I put the clunky rubber bumper and case in the storage closet. I really like it so far. A little more grungy and used than I thought it would be. I got it clean with alcohol. Love it so far. I'm going to get a glass case frame for my old B&K and hang it on the wall. I honestly abused that inexpensive meter for over twenty five years (and it still works if you smack it). I'll title the frame "JASON METER"

Comment

I have a spare HP333... You need one, don't you?
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                      X