Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AD30VT - is it too hot?

Hi

I got this amp and found all effects working but not a lot of sound coming out. The 'power' pot was working so rather than clean jacks etc I proceeded straight to replace the LM3886 (with a T version) and the amp now is working nicely.

Tried to play it, nice effects, not so good sounding speaker/power amp (conveniently there is no line out either). Basically bee-in-a-jam-jar sound all round - great for bedroom play but not anywhere live. I found this disappointing but this is my personal opinion and you may find this amp lovely if you try it.

Anyway I played it for about 10 min fairly loud but not on full. Touched the black heat sink - hot as hell ! Can't imagine what happens when amp is enclosed and there is none whatsoever circulation!

Now this chip is supposed to manage itself thermally, my mounting is correct with thermal compound to chip and to chassy - but it just feels wrong how hot this gets ? Anyone else seen it get as hot ?

I have some experience with the LM3886 and I know it generates a lot of heat. If this was a nice sounding amp for me to use I would certainly install a fan in it - although that won't be easy as the heat sink fins are kind of glued to the wood. The way it is I would not trust it to play a gig for fear it would cook itself in 15 minutes.

Any thoughts ?

Thoughts?? Not yet, but I just got one in for a complaint of Function.....could be what you are talking about? Just searched for some info.

Comment

Working...
    X