Silvertone 1482 Can Capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone 1482 Can Capacitor

Greetings from the shores of Lake Superior in beautiful Michigan!!!

I enjoy working on old amplifiers. I rarely get time as I work for the fish factory. Busy time of year.

An old friend recently passed and I received his Silvertone 1482 amplifiers and a Voice of Music record player.

Silvertone 1482 uses a 20/10/10
    Voice of Music uses a 40/30/10/10

I'm a bit of a purest and respect these old amps so much. Instead of building a new cap section inside the chassis, I would rather use a new can cap. Easier, Cleaner, Neater, etc. I know it will cost more but I'm fine with that.

Does anyone know where I could find these old can cap online? I would appreciate any help.

Until the time,
    Michael

also...

...what are some favorites types and gauges of wire for these amps.

Comment

AES has pages of can caps.

www.tubesandmore.com

I am new school, I prefer to mount discrete caps, but to each his own. here is one with a bunch of 10s in it:

C-EC20-10-10-10

Ther is a wide selection, I am sure you can find something close. And don;t forget, you can parallel sections for larger values.

Wire is pretty much wire, these amps don;t carry much current anywhere except the heaters, and even then it is a limited number if amps. #22-#18 range is fine.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Modern caps are now a fraction of the size than those of the 50s and 60s and it's often possible to re-stuff the existing can with caps that have superior characteristics to the originals if you want to maintain the appearance. There are plenty of resources with how-to pics on the web if you wish to go this way. I've done this many times and it works well.

Comment

Working...
        X