No announcement yet.

EHX (Electro-Harmonix) Mike Matthews Dirt Road Special Guitar Amp Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not seeing any pictures of what is being described. I like the idea of the jack turning the phaser on/off. I would re-wire the jack to do that. But first run some jumper leads to turn the phaser on to be sure it works.

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
      I am not seeing any pictures of what is being described. I like the idea of the jack turning the phaser on/off. I would re-wire the jack to do that. But first run some jumper leads to turn the phaser on to be sure it works.
      Try now.
      Ugh! ... been unexpertly tampered with.
      That chipboard is carved for no good reason and is currently crumbling, Iīd replace a palm sized piece of it with properly glued and clamped chipboard, easy peasy for anybody with some furniture working experience, wouldnīt be surprised at the unseen end being in a similar pitiful state.

The effect board has also been tampered with, in principle absolute best is downmodding it back to Factory spec, including toggle switch; only after itīs working properly a DPDT relay may replace it.
      Only true "universal" switch replacement is a relay, with metal to metal contacts; electronic switches are fine but all need some kind of compromise, so ....

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

You have to wonder what was there or what the hell they were up to?
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          You have to wonder what was there or what the hell they were up to?
          Could be whatever broke the power switch also broke the chipboard?

Wonder how different the phaser is from the small stone?
          nosaj
          Attached Files
          Last edited by nosaj; 06-01-2019, 12:13 AM.
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

......"Wonder how different the phaser is from the small stone?......"

It's an EH amp, so I'm betting it's the same board as in the pedal- just built into the amp. There are several versions of the Small Stone, so who know which it is.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It *is* a small stone,and not even an "amp version" or whatever but the actual PCB used in the pedal, kludged here.
              Of course an 8 pin SMD IC has NOTHING to do there.
              Poorly mounted at that, just hanging from pot legs and a solitary bolt at the other end ... I hope they insulated it from solder pads with a fiber washer or something.

And WTF did they cut the cabinet top for? : 1 slot, 2 round holes (one poorly plugged with a wooden dowel), we might even have symmetrical holes at the other end.
              Absolutely worst case and seeing the chipboard has suffered water damage, the kiss of death, the whole top panel might be replaced or even a new cabinet made, no big deal.
              Even keeping current front and back panels.
              Just visit Home Depot or local lumber mill equivalent and come back with 4 wood pieces cut to size (one would need the amp slot cut, of course), some 1" by 1" wooden strips, nails, glue, one hour actual work.
              No *need* to even Tolex it, just kill sharp edges with sandpaper (no need for a router) and paint it flat black.
              On a dark stage it looks like Tolex from 6 feet away anyway.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well, at least the picked an appropriate model name for it.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                X