X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowell
    replied
    Ahhh… right. Hence the disaster that breaks loose when you connect primaries in reverse when replacing an OT.

Leave a comment:

• Helmholtz
    replied
    Question though, since global feedback is NEGATIVE feedback, how is this being injected back into the PI and causing an issue. I'd think the issue would null itself.
    The two halves of the OT primary are 180 degrees out of phase with respect to AC ground. So one side may produce negative feedback with the meter leads and no oscillation while the other gives positive FB and oscillation.

Leave a comment:

• lowell
    replied
    BRILLIANT... thanks guys! I knew it was something more obscure. Perfect solution, if pulling the PI works.

Question though, since global feedback is NEGATIVE feedback, how is this being injected back into the PI and causing an issue. I'd think the issue would null itself.

Leave a comment:

• Pedro Vecino
    replied
    The solution that I use is to install both tubes, measure the tube on the good side, invert them and measure again on that same side the other tube. It´s better to forget the left socket.

Leave a comment:

• nickb
    replied
    Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
    HF oscillation caused by parasitic effects of the meter leads.
    You may verify by pulling the PI tube or by shorting the speaker output during the DC measurement. This should prevent oscillation.
    ^^^^^ This is what is going on. Seen it many times on an FBJ (and other amps).

Leave a comment:

• Helmholtz
    replied
    HF oscillation caused by parasitic effects of the meter leads.
    You may verify by pulling the PI tube or by shorting the speaker output during the idle DC measurement (no signal!). This should prevent oscillation.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-04-2018, 11:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    Your meter is reacting to the inductance of teh transformer. Pretty normal for many amps.

Leave a comment:

• lowell
    started a topic Blues Jr III Universal issue

Blues Jr III Universal issue

Guys, the last 3 blues JR III's I've had in have the same odd issue happening. When I try to measure plate volts on one side (blue) of the OT I get audible hum, and the voltage is quite a bit higher (20vDC) than the other side of the OT. The other side is 335Vdc and doesn't cause a hum when the probe touches it. This is with a brand new pair of working tubes. Both grids have -14vDC on em. Both screens are good. Doesn't matter whether I use chassis or main filter ground as common. So everything SEEMS to be fine, amp works, hum is minimal, seems fine. This only seems to happen when I'm repairing Blues Jr III amps. Even if I don't connect the black lead on my meter to anything, just touching the red probe to the plate of that side of the OT causes an audible hum, and even occasionally a very very small sparking if I watch closely.

What could this be? I doubt that the plate volts are really off that much when my meter probe is not touching the TP because the hum goes away when I stop measuring it. (double-slit experiment lol - in another universe this isn't happening)
    Instead of measuring to common, I take the "good" plate Vdc measurement, then measure from there to the other plate, and only 3mv difference so I know it's all good.

* Originally it came in with a blown Rscreen 100ohm but I've repaired that.

I've also found on multiple occasions that the two EL84 don't seem to bias correctly (not matched) even with matched sets of tubes, and that some physical rerouting of some wires can solve the bias issue. Not sure if it's the gray ribbon cables next to the OT primary leads or what, but some finagling usually fixes that. No issue with the bias in this particular one.

Any theories?

Thanks!
Working...
X