JCM 800 2205 Low boost channel output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 800 2205 Low boost channel output

With nothing plugged into the footswitch jack the amp is in boost mode. The amp has very little volume and the Gain and Master controls have very little effect on the volume. With the footswitch jack shorted, the amp goes to normal mode and works correctly. I changed out the CA3046 for an NTE912 (twice) with no effectMarshall-JCM800-Splitch-50W-2205-Schematic.pdf
    The LED lights like it should in boost mode. The voltage at the cathodes of D2 and D3 is about 4.5 volts (normal)
    I've swapped out all the preamp tubes with no change, and the voltages on the preamp tubes look normal.
    I've looked up threads concerning this amp and switching problems but this particular problem doesn't seem to be covered.
    Thanks for your time!

Normal pretty much just bypasses V2, so look in there for your signal loss. What are your DC voltages for V2 pins 1,3,6,8 ?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

A quick test can be: with the boost channel activated disconnect one pin on capacitors C11 and C12 (0.22uF). That way you eliminate the mute. If it sounds, it means that the switching circuit does not work well.

https://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2205prem.gif

Comment

V2 voltages are 1, 254v - 3, 2.48v - 6, 206v - 8, 1.33v
        I lifted C11 and C12 and the distorted signal seemed to get a bit louder, but still way below what it should be.

Comment

Is the master volume functioning on clean mode?
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Sorry, I asked about the wrong tubes before. DC voltages for V1 pins 6&8, V3 pins 1&3.

Comment

V1 voltages: Pin 6 - 95.5v, pin 8 - .535v. V3 voltages: Pin 1 - 195v, Pin 3 - 1.58v. I believe the master works in clean mode but I'll check again.

Comment

Found it! Two bad solder connections. One from the gain control in the distortion circuit and one to the chip holder that holds the switching IC. Kind of unusual. They looked good but weren't connecting.

Comment

Good job
                  are those 3046's extinct?

Comment

Working...
                  X