Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g1
    replied
    Measure again at ZD1 & ZD2 but set meter to AC volts. This should show you if you have any excess ripple on the supplies.

Leave a comment:

• Roob65
    replied
    no scope, just been thinking of picking up a used one (second-hand). My DMM is junk so just considering getting a new one or going down the scope route.

Leave a comment:

• nosaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Roob65 View Post
    ok managed to grab a minute during lunch. DC measured at ZD1/ZD2 +14.7v and -14.9v
    How clean is a different matter...I'll have a read up and see if my cheapo meter is up to the challenge.
    Use your scope an you can see what it looks like
    nosaj

Leave a comment:

• Roob65
    replied
    ok managed to grab a minute during lunch. DC measured at ZD1/ZD2 +14.7v and -14.9v
    How clean is a different matter...I'll have a read up and see if my cheapo meter is up to the challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Roob65
    replied
    Thanks for that Enzo. I have done so much reading over the last couple of days I thought I had seen somewhere anything over 20mV was suspect. So tempted to try and pick up a second hand scope - who can resist a new tool right? Haha! Anyway, I'll get to checking and report back after work.

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    A few millivolts is not an issue. 50mv is 0.05 volts, which is not an issue.

AMps have three parts: preamp, power amp, and power supply. A hummy power supply would affect both other parts. You have I don't know what, maybe 35v on the power amp rails. There will be a small amount of ripple. But your preamp uses 15v rails. Check them both. Are they up to voltage and CLEAN? I don't care if they are exactly 15v. 14.5 or 15.2 or something is close enough. What I do care about is are they both about the same as each other?

There is a lot of preamp after the preamp. Power amp starts after VR13.

Leave a comment:

• Roob65
    replied
    Thanks Chuck. I had previously checked for DC across the speaker terminals but decided to check again this morning. Interestingly I initially get a low negative value (around -16mV) but it slowly started to creep so left it a couple of minutes and it stabilised at around +50mV. Seems a bit high? Homefully the pots for the other amp will get delivered today so I can do a comparison (if it works at all!).

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    Originally posted by Roob65 View Post
    Quick update as I can't do anything else today as other stuff on my plate. I removed VR13 and the hum is still there. I attached a temp wire between C40 & C41 and C18 & R25 (with VR13 still removed) and no change. Not tried anything else yet.
    Can't say yet regarding the effects loop. You may be seeing hum in both locations because you have two problem or still possibly the same problem. As yet to be determined. But either way you should check for DC on the speaker when the hum is happening. If you do (possibly a bad output transistor) then you shouldn't use the speaker anymore before the problem is fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Roob65
    replied
    Quick update as I can't do anything else today as other stuff on my plate. I removed VR13 and the hum is still there. I attached a temp wire between C40 & C41 and C18 & R25 (with VR13 still removed) and no change. Not tried anything else yet.

Leave a comment:

• Roob65
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestion Jon I'll give that a try and get back to you. Out of interest, and because I'm learning, does that mean my theory about it's presence on the effects send is flawed and I need to go back to the books haha!? Thanks again for your reply.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Snell
    replied
    You say that none of the controls make any difference to the 50HZ amplitude.
    Disconnect the wiper of the master vol control. Does it go quiet, if it does your hum is coming from the pre amp section and you can disregard the main amplifier and power section.
    Otherwise;
    Connect a temporary wire to the junction of C40 & C41, (that is the main amplifier ground).
    Temporarily connect the wire to the junction of C18 & R25.
    If the hum stops it may be the volume control ground is not good connection, try it on the master vol slider then the ground point and work backwards towards the ECC83.
    That will at least separate the power amp from the power supply ground and the pre amp.

Leave a comment:

• Roob65
    replied
    I've not spent any time on the 2nd one and haven't hooked it up as it's missing a couple of pots which I'm waiting on getting delivered.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    Do both amps have the same problem?

Leave a comment:

• Roob65
    replied
    Yes that's the one thanks for attaching it!

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    Is this your schematic?

https://schematicheaven.net/marshall..._8100_8412.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X