Hartke 1400 power transformer dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartke 1400 power transformer dead?

Hi, first this is my first post here. I have been cruising the site for a few days and am impressed with how helpful you all are! I can see that most folks are respectful and kind on this forum, unfortunately that is not very common elsewhere.

When it comes to electronic repairs, I am a novice at best. I have repaired a number of things, including amps, by reflowing solder and replacing pots or jacks but that about sums up my success stories.

I recently came across a hartke 1400 and I think the Power transformer is dead. It kept blowing fuses, (until I learned on here the wonders of a light bulb limiter). I have disconnected the wires from the PT to the main board and there is still a short (light bulb stays on). I also bypassed the power switch to see if it was the issue, no change.

Is there anything else I can do to check the PT? Here is a picture of it https://photos.app.goo.gl/2EVNcVgC9kaggik28

As far as schematics, I found one on here but I don't think it's correct, it shows six wires (2x3) coming off the PT but mine has eight (2x4). https://music-electronics-forum.com/...4&d=1475880289 One possible reason is mine just says "1400" on the front, not "HA1400“ like some other ones I have seen (and the schematic). Maybe mine is an earlier model?
    Last edited by Chadface; 05-31-2020, 09:39 PM.

HA area later series. My records show a plain old 1400, but my files are in storage.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

What is that, a double toroidal transformer?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200531_130034.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	857879

Comment

The core is not circular, it is shaped more like a racetrack. Windings aren't spread all way around.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

It takes up less room than the traditional donut.

Comment

I was wondering what the heck it was called! So it's toroidal, just looks funny? Seems like it would get hot easily.

It has separated from the mount so it is loose. Not sure if that matters. I'm tempted to cut off the blue tape out of curiosity

Comment

If you have the transformer disconnected from everything and the bulb still glows then the transformer has an internal short. I doubt you could get a replacement, and if you could it would cost more than the amp is worth. Too bad, amps like this are good to learn and practice repairs, but the transformers are pretty much the most expensive part of an amp. I would cut my losses on this one (and I have a room full of amps that I haven't given up on).

Comment

I was afraid of that, thank you for the help!

Comment

Hola, tengo mi transformador completamente desconectado..., Alguien me puede explicar cómo se conecta

Comment

Working...
                    X