Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, please. Orange Tiny Terror problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, please. Orange Tiny Terror problem.

Hi people
    I'd like some help, some words of wisdom from you.
    Now, I have this Orange Tiny Terror.
    Each timy I switch standby on/off I hear this noise, which seems to go away after few seconds. The actual volume of the noise depends on (ta-daaam) where the amp's volume knob is set (And if the volume knob is zeroed there's no noise). Now, I use to always zero the gain and volume knobs before doing any standby/switching, so I never noticed there's a problem until recently.
    What can be the cause? What should I do?

There also were few times the amp lost so volume and started to sound unpleasant and too distorted, or developed noise on top of the signal while I was playing. But I figured it was caused by cab vibrations. So, not putting the head on the cab solved that problem (for now).

Please, please help
    Thanks
    V.

Well I'm not familiar with that particular Orange amp. There are other posts on this forum from about feb 2007...seems like this is a very interesting design....You could also visit the Orange forum. http://www.orangeamps.com glen

Comment

I would check your tubes as those symtoms apply to that. When you hit the standby switch and the volume is cranked it's going to hit the grids of the power tubes harder with initial inrush current than settle down to it's nominal instantaneous operating current. If you don't want to hear it keep it down but I don't personally think there is a problem. btw I have worked and tested on several of these and they are pretty cool but one trick ponies without mods.
      KB

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Amp Kat, I'm cool with that one trick, thank you It does it perfectly .
        Bot, I tried few sets of JJ EL's, and changed the preamp tubes also, it doesn't help.
        Some say it might be: 1) voltage arcing on plastic sockets
        2) signal coupling resistor
        I just have no guts to open it and change the sockets, because there's no amp tech around and i'd have to solder by myself, which I do terribly.
        I'd be glad to know other options and opinions on that problem (if there's any problem at all )

Comment

Yes, I like the sound of the little terror and they are quite impressive for such a little box. I'll try the one at the shop and see if it does it too. Some of the symptoms that would cause it as you said are :faulty sockets,bad switch,bad filter cap,bad or loose connection.
          KB

Comment

One option...

You have to open it up, but need not know any more than to wear tennis shoes, keep one arm behind your back and poke at wires with a wooden chopstick. I've found numerous bad sockets this way (have one right now, as a matter of fact). Even if you're not going to fix it yourself, it might be a super simple way of diagnosis. Just be careful..... one arm behind the back or under your butt while poking. Yeah, that sounds a little strange, huh?
            Last edited by captntasty; 01-02-2008, 06:32 PM. Reason: spelllling

Comment

Here's a late model Orange amp I fixed last year I think.....not a tiny terror......but beware this isn't pretty, don't look if you have a weak stomach!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=100_1918.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by captntasty View Post
                You have to open it up, but need not know any more than to wear tennis shoes, keep one arm behind your back and poke at wires with a wooden chopstick. I've found numerous bad sockets this way (have one right now, as a matter of fact). Even if you're not going to fix it yourself, it might be a super simple way of diagnosis. Just be careful..... one arm behind the back or under your butt while poking. Yeah, that sounds a little strange, huh?
                Well... it doesn't at all. So, to isolate myself from the floor, and keep one arm behind the back. No watches allowed

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                Here's a late model Orange amp I fixed last year I think.....not a tiny terror......but beware this isn't pretty, don't look if you have a weak stomach!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=100_1918.jpg

Oh, why did I look! )

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Um... it makes a noise for a brief period when first turned on? So does my wife. Other than that you don't know why it is there, what is the problem? Lots of amps make wake up noises. it is not arcing sockets or it would continue to do it. COld tubes warming up often make noises. I just don't see any of that as a problem. Hell, I make noises when I wake up. let it warm up a minute before playing, leave the volume down. Noises don't usually hurt the amp.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo, it isn't supposed to make those noises - according to youtube demos When going from standby to full operation. So maybe the problem itself isn't that big an issue, but IMHO it's better to fix it now, than to deal with blown tubes and transformers later. Not to speak about expecting it to fail every time I gig the amp

Comment

my ott is cutting out in high gain on both 7 and 15, what is the deal, how is this fixed? any idea?? it does not do it at low volume

Comment

Tubes..............

Comment

how could it be tubes??

The tt plays great at all volumes except extremly high gain turned up all the way,,is it a power thing i suppose? its brandnew as well... if your sure its tubes, what is best to put back in it?? stock tubes or something else?

Comment

Working...
                          X