I Have to Vent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have to Vent!

This little gofer-looking dude shows up with an Ampeg V4BH and tubes, and wants it biased. No problem. Next day he calls me wanting to know what the bill is. I tell him I had not gotten to it yet. The following day with some consternation, I wrestle that big chassis out of the cab, and place it on my bench. First thing I do is measure the four cathode fuses and find one open. It's a 250mA, and I don't have one, but Radio Shack says they do, so I take a short trip over there to find out they actually do not.

So I text the situation to the guy how I will have to order the fuse and it is taking about 10 days now. He calls me saying he has a gig in a few days and he is going to use it with only three tubes. I explain that isn't a very good idea, but he says he is in my neighborhood and is going to swing by and grab it anyway. I tell him it is still on my bench, so give me a chance to put it back together. He shows up, scratching his butt about what to do, put it on ebay, put it in mothballs and get another amp, or should he fix it. Back and forth for several minutes. Finally, he decides to leave it here so I can fix it. I offer to loan him a solid state Ampeg head, and he marches right into my shop uninvited. (I have been conducting all business in my driveway). And did I mention he is abiding by no distancing at all, he even keeps walking closer to me as I back away! Then I couldn't get him out. He walked around looking at stuff, making comments. At one point I went outside hoping he would follow me, which finally he did.

Man, oh man. So now I get to take this big amp apart again, which I just LOVE doing. I guess it just never occurred to this guy that he could be intruding, imposing or inconveniencing me. How do some people just not get it as bad as that? I have not had another person in my shop in 4 months, yet this guy waltzes right in.

Rant over.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Viewing the title I thought you had gone kablooey like a superannuated electrolytic cap.

Nitwits... they're out there. On rare occasion one shows up here. But your story beats 'em all. Maybe you should have insisted he takes his amp, pays a bench fee, and gets lost forever.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I've come across a few of those types at the gas station or elsewhere- ignoring social distancing signs and marks on the floor. I have no problem telling them to back the f*&^ up.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I work with a TON of nitwits who peel off their mask and then move all the distanced chairs in the lunchroom to one table and gab loudly on top of each other. And we make the Covid assays!! We've had to introduce a warning/write up structure as people as super DUMB.

Comment

When that happens I add extra to the repair fees. It happens very rarely.
          Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
          If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Damn, you still have a Radio Shack?
            Lucky.

I have a few repairs held up because I'm waiting on fuses I ordered.

Was so nice to just pop over to Rat Shack and pick up the odd items needed to expedite repairs.

Comment

I suppose if it's a small town lacking any sort of local electronics store, one could be thankful for the presence of a Radio Shack. Here in Los Angeles, back in the day when there WERE multiple decent Electronics shops to choose from and walk into, walking into a Radio Shack, seeing next to nothing on the pegs on the walls, and mindless twits minding the store, just walking into one really got my dander up. Same feeling I still get walking into Fry's Electronics. If you have a list of 10 items to find, even if you find the pegs on the wall where they might be, there would be no stock. Radio Shack.....fat chance!
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I used to go into a Radio Shack for a fuse or something of an evening, and my favorite gag was to look at a scrap of paper and tell them "I am supposed to get some 16 ohm speaker cable?" Just about all of them would say "Sure, walk this way."
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  I used to go into a Radio Shack for a fuse or something of an evening, and my favorite gag was to look at a scrap of paper and tell them "I am supposed to get some 16 ohm speaker cable?" Just about all of them would say "Sure, walk this way."
                  That is cruel and wrong. I wish my RS was still open so I could try that...
                  --
                  I build and repair guitar amps
                  http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Not worthy of it's own thread, but as long as we're venting:

I had a guy leave a bad internet review for the shop this weekend only because we weren't open on the weekend for him to drop off his amp. So, we're already off to a bad start. I don't work weekends. I got the amp yesterday. He called already today to complain that it wasn't done yet. I'm tempted to just give it back to him without even cracking it open.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      Not worthy of it's own thread, but as long as we're venting:

I had a guy leave a bad internet review for the shop this weekend only because we weren't open on the weekend for him to drop off his amp. So, we're already off to a bad start. I don't work weekends. I got the amp yesterday. He called already today to complain that it wasn't done yet. I'm tempted to just give it back to him without even cracking it open.
                      This is the guy that won't show up for a week to pick it up once it's ready.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I know I have told this before, but...

Had a guy drop off an amp just as we closed one friday evening. Called monday morning to see if it was done. No, it is not done. "But you've had it THREE DAYS!"
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I was having a conversation about working odd hours with my accountant. I normally work 4 to midnight, unless something is scheduled. My accountant is also not a morning person, but is often up all night working. One of his clients called one day and was giving him shi+ about not getting to work until noon, implying that he was lazy and didn't work much. So about 3 o'clock the next morning, he called the client back, woke him up, and said, "Since you seemed so concerned about my work schedule, I just thought I'd call and let you know that I'm still working".

Comment

Take a deep breath, sigh and consider the fact that the last idiot hasn't even been born yet.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ir1.PNG
Views:	121
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	908898
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X