MESA BOOGIE 50 Caliber+ (2x6L6) - Circuit Board Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MESA BOOGIE 50 Caliber+ (2x6L6) - Circuit Board Wanted

I posted this query on the Boogie Board Forum.
    I thought that the Mesa Boogie Forum would be the first place to ask, but I have had no response.
    I hope someone here can offer some info.

I have a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber+ (2x6L6) in my workshop for repairs and it is in very poor condition.
    The PCB is roasted and conductive in one section and the whole internals are in poor condition generally, with some dodgy mods added in.
    The amp worked (but not as it should) and the chassis, cab, speaker and transformers are all OK.
    It is not really worth the cost, or the risk of future failures, to try and repair the PCB, as it is.
    The only good way to get this amp to work well and sound good is to do a complete rebuild (new build), by replacing the ruined PCB with either, a good quality PCB (not genuine Boogie), or a turret or eyelet board.

It need not be a 50 Caliber+ replica, but the owner wants it to be a Boogie sounding amp; not something else in the Boogie box.
    Maybe a board for a MkIIB or IIC+, as long as it will fit in the 50 Caliber chassis.
    I haven't been able to find any Mesa style circuit boards for sale and I am hoping you blokes will be able to give me leads/links to available circuit boards.
    I can make a turret or eyelet board to suit, but I would rather not, if someone has already made something suitable

Thanks for any help.
    Cheers, Noel

Speak to Mesa, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    https://www.mesaboogie.com/support/contact-us.html
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Thanks for taking interest and responding Jon, but I don't like Mesa PCBs and even if they were priced well (which I very much doubt they are), I wouldn't use one.

The sad part of Mesa Eng, in my opinion, is that they make good sounding amps, with poor quality electronic construction and that leads to where I am with this amp.
      The bodgy meddling, done by some misguided fool didn't help, but he was trying to rectify a build problem gone wrong.

When you see the quality of some of the after market circuit boards that are made by small time operators, it is hard to approve of a large manufacturer like Mesa, making such poor PCBs.
      This is why I am looking for a better option; or I will make it myself.

Cheers, Noel

Comment

Yes make one yourself, I would use fibre glass as a base. The easiest way I find to make them is photograph in detail the complete original board, remove the components, clean it up and with a felt tip pen draw on the copper track to make it easy to print a copy.
        Print and develop your stencil and etch a few boards, I use ferric chloride to etch with, it eats the copper away nicely. Fibre glass PCB is cheap. Drill the lands and fit new components.
        Having said that, it is 33 years old, how long should it last I wonder. If the high wattage resistors had been mounted off the board and unskilled fingers were kept out of it, the board would still be fine.
        Good luck with your project.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Working...
        X