No announcement yet.

Laney TT50H No Outout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G1 gets the "all saints award" for mulling through this fiasco of a repair.,

Comment

• Originally posted by g1 View Post
      The sleeve (neg.) terminals of the speaker jacks are all connected together going to circuit ground which also connects to chassis ground. Then there is that black wire which also goes directly to chassis from the sleeve terminals of the spkr. jacks. I guess the connection is duplicated to prevent burning of the narrow trace on the board that goes from those jacks to ground.
      The black chassis wire got moved from the sleeve terminal to the tip terminal of the 4 & 8 ohm jacks. That shorts them out so they can barely work. The tip and sleeve of those jacks are now both going to ground, so the only reason you can hear anything is the tiny resistance of the traces themselves.
      The 16 ohm jacks would still sort of function because the 4 or 8 ohm tap would serve as ground for it, and it's tip did not get grounded with the others..
      With barely any output, you would have had to really crank the level. That much signal along with the oscillation is probably what caused the arc over at the preamp tube socket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	common.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	957766

Thanks again for everything, your the best!

Comment

The 16 ohm jacks would still sort of function because the 4 or 8 ohm tap would serve as ground for it, and it's tip did not get grounded with the others..
        The 16 Ohm output shouldn't work either, as shorting one (part of a) transformer winding essentially shorts all other windings including the primary.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

• Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

The 16 Ohm output shouldn't work either, as shorting one (part of a) transformer winding essentially shorts all other windings including the primary.
          I think we have seen on several occasions where the practical results do not match up perfectly with the theory. A shorted turn or winding will not necessarily kill the output 100%. In this case the output was very weak and distorted, but the 16 ohm output was louder. That's why I said the 16 ohm output 'sort of' worked. I should have said it gave more output.
          Sometimes we have reports of weak output from OT's (or PT's) that fail the neon bulb test due to shorted turns. They still have some output.
          Definitely something that could use some actual data under test conditions, if anyone were to feel inclined.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I think we have seen on several occasions where the practical results do not match up perfectly with the theory. A shorted turn or winding will not necessarily kill the output 100%. In this case the output was very weak and distorted, but the 16 ohm output was louder. That's why I said the 16 ohm output 'sort of' worked. I should have said it gave more output.
            It will depend on the effective shorting resistance which is composed of the winding DCR + external wiring DCR.
            Assuming a shorting DCR of say 0.2R at the 4 Ohm winding, the 16 Ohm output will appear loaded by 0.8R parallel to the speaker.
            Consequently output power could be up to 5% of nominal.
            But as the tubes will see a very low Raa, which allows for only little voltage swing, output power should be much less than 5%.
            Nevertheless a few hundred mWs of output power seem possible.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
            X