X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ca7922303
    replied
    Originally posted by g1 View Post
    What is voltage at both ends of R43 ? Are all preamp tubes lit up?
    All preamp tubes are lit and R43 with Variac on is 400vdc/392vdc.

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied
    What is voltage at both ends of R43 ? Are all preamp tubes lit up?

Leave a comment:

• ca7922303
    replied
    That seems kind of high at R43. Caps at either end of it show 400V rating, so be careful. Suggest using variac and not exceeding 400V there. What is the voltage at it's other end? Are all preamp tubes lit up?

What is the DC voltage at either end of the resistor going to the hum pot, R52 ?
    Also R52 reads 98.3 ohms resistance

Leave a comment:

• ca7922303
    replied
    That seems kind of high at R43. Caps at either end of it show 400V rating, so be careful. Suggest using variac and not exceeding 400V there. What is the voltage at it's other end? Are all preamp tubes lit up?

What is the DC voltage at either end of the resistor going to the hum pot, R52 ?
    With Variac and all tubes installed, R43 @400vdc, R52(0.0mv/0.0mv), and hum balance pot is about 5vdc both pins.

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ca7922303
    replied
    That's on the variac? Sounds good so far. If going up with the variac and the reading on the hum balance pot stays in the mV rather than volts, you should be ok I think.
    Previous readings were without tubes. Now with all tubes in, full power(no Variac), 442vdc @ R43, 13vdc @ hum balance both pins. I'm able to get a signal thru efx return and line out only. No preamp controls.

Leave a comment:

• ca7922303
    replied
    That's on the variac? Sounds good so far. If going up with the variac and the reading on the hum balance pot stays in the mV rather than volts, you should be ok I think.
    Ran Variac up to 104v, R43@448vdc, getting 216mv/78mv at hum balance pins. Without a Variac, full power, R43 @ 472vdc, hum balance pins 237/77 mvdc.

Leave a comment:

• ca7922303
    replied
    Yes, Variac was at 40v, R43(160vdc), hum balance pot(60mvdc).

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ca7922303
    replied

Does the socket go as far down to the board as it should? I thought it might be flush mount so I was worried the jumper would keep it from going all the way down to the board.
    Then the pins might not go as far through the board as needed, and the solder joints would be more likely to break whenever the tube was inserted.

If the socket goes down as close to the board is it was without the jumper wire, you should be ok like that.
    Got it all put together and at 163vdc @ R43, I'm getting 60mvdc @ both pins of hum balance pot. Stopped there to see what you make of it.

Leave a comment:

• ca7922303
    replied

Does the socket go as far down to the board as it should? I thought it might be flush mount so I was worried the jumper would keep it from going all the way down to the board.
    Then the pins might not go as far through the board as needed, and the solder joints would be more likely to break whenever the tube was inserted.

If the socket goes down as close to the board is it was without the jumper wire, you should be ok like that.
    Yes, that's as far down as it goes and still not touching the jumper wire. Thanks for your help.

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied
    Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post

Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Leave a comment:

• ca7922303
    replied
    I think that would be the best bet, it's too long of a run to the next socket. A small hole drilled next to the trace just outside the socket with the burn, a short piece of wire from the trace to the solder side pin4 connection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trace over under.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	945645
    Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied
    Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    in general, I have a few tiny drills, like #56 and #62, and a small hole in the pc board for the wire end, placed next to the trace, and solder it to it.
    I think that would be the best bet, it's too long of a run to the next socket. A small hole drilled next to the trace just outside the socket with the burn, a short piece of wire from the trace to the solder side pin4 connection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trace over under.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	945645
    Last edited by g1; 11-22-2021, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    One end could be tacked to the socket leg. Of course just doing what you said earlier, run the wire around the socket also works. Meanwhile, other side. One end to socket leg, other end to something else connected to that trace. Perhaps another socket. But in general, I have a few tiny drills, like #56 and #62, and a small hole in the pc board for the wire end, placed next to the trace, and solder it to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X