Where you guys getting fuses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where you guys getting fuses?

I had a nice stash of 3AG fast and slo blow from de-comissioned equipment at work that has been depleted.

Where you guys ordering decent quantities from, the typical Mouser, Digi-key etc?

Thanks.

yeah. I generally shop all the big cats. Mouser-Newark-Allied-Digikey-Avnet-etc.
    Octopart.com is a good resource to compare prices between distributors.

But, I always check Newark's overstock-priced items for ridiculous deals.
    see here, and click the category you need. Easy to follow from there:
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I buy a lot of 3AG and 5x20mm fuses from tubesandmore.com.
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Thanks !

Comment

I just go to my kitchen. There's a drawer where I keep the aluminum foil.

jk
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I used to buy fuses in bulk, boxes of 100. I liked them loose, but sometimes it was just 20 boxes of 5 in one container. I bought house brand fuses from MCM for cheap. At the time I was doing a ton of SMPS repairs for arcades, and used a zillion 20mm 2, 2.5, 3A fuses, and as many with pigtails. I still have a lot of pigtail 20mm fuses. And when I was also working in the arcade business I bought from coin-op ssuppliers. But later I used fewer fuses and turned to Mouser et al. I found the Schurter fuses work as well as the main brands, and are cheaper.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And don't overlook your local hardware store or Home Depot/Lowes. They usually have a decent selection of fuses.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I find that most wholesalers, RS, Mouser, Farnell etc supply fuse kits which cover most useful values. Here is what I purchased back in 1980 and still use after topping up as and when needed. At least I know the break values are guaranteed unlike most Chinesium suppliers on fleabay. Don't forget, if you fitted that fuse that is not of an approved type and the customers house burns down, you are liable!
                https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/fuses...reakers/fuses/
                Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

I've had good luck getting variety packs of fuses on Amazon Prime. Way cheaper than my local hardware store. Slow blow fuses are especially expensive locally.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
                    I've had good luck getting variety packs of fuses on Amazon Prime. Way cheaper than my local hardware store. Slow blow fuses are especially expensive locally.
                    It well depends what type of slow blow you.re looking for. I remember blowing from mistake an original 3A from a Hiwatt amp I ended with a 5A slow blow (cheap chinese from my local stores) to can start it on. Found the cheap fuses didn't fit to keep the same surge currents as original fuse did (maybe wrong calibration or different rating). That is easy to check with a series limiter resistor to determine max admissible surge current the fuse is rated for. The problem is the value may be large enough to be useful to protect some...
                    Last edited by catalin gramada; 07-13-2020, 02:53 AM.
                    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
                      It well depends what type of slow blow you.re looking for. I remember blowing from mistake an original 3A from a Hiwatt amp I ended with a 5A slow blow (cheap chinese from my local stores) to can start it on. Found the cheap fuses didn't fit to keep the same surge currents as original fuse did (maybe wrong calibration or different rating). That is easy to check with a series limiter resistor to determine max admissible surge current the fuse is rated for. The problem is the value may be large enough to be useful to protect some...
                      And I suspect consistency would be a problem with cheap fuses too.?. Of course a "tested" fuse is a blown fuse so there's no way to know. Maybe you could hope that a "batch" is going to be consistent, but I wouldn't. Probably best to avoid fuses that might be inconsistent or have a stupid wide tolerance. Like a 5A being equivalent to the same surge as a 3A. I don't buy a lot of fuses so I'm leaving sourcing advice to the pros here. Just wanted to chime in with my $.02 that I think it's always worth choosing a reputable maker so there are fewer surprises.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I only buy NOS fuses. They sound better.
                        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

And don't forget to watch polarity, only install fuses facing the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                            I just go to my kitchen. There's a drawer where I keep the aluminum foil.

jk

My friend and bass player still teases me for doing this to his Bassman 135 when we were teens.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post

My friend and bass player still teases me for doing this to his Bassman 135 when we were teens.
                              In the interest of full disclosure... I did do this once. But not in an amp. It was a car. And I used the foil lined paper from the inside of a cigarette pack. Stop lookin' at me like that. Jeez! I needed headlamps to get home! OK!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X