Peavey MiniMax DC on output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey MiniMax DC on output

I have a Peavey MiniMax bass amp that has DC on the output. With no speaker attached, the + and - rails are reading solid +/-75VDC, but P6 (red positive speaker connection has -3VDC on it). If I connect a dummy load (8ohm power resistor to it), the positive rail will oscillate from +75 to some much higher DC voltage, while the negative rail oscillates from -76VDC to something near 0V. The positive speaker terminal also goes from -3VDC to 0VDC during this oscillation. This oscillation continues about every 1-2 seconds.

I've pulled the board and measured the diodes and found no shorts. I also didn't find any shorted caps, but that's not to say I didn't overlook something in my testing. Maybe U6? Any suggestions on what possible causes are or measurements to take? Thanks for your help/guidance!

See sheet 2 of attached for the power amp schematic.

MINI MAX PWR.pdf

U6 is an all in one power amplifier ic.
    At idle (no signal) it should not do anything as far as driving the output mosfets is concerned.
    If there is not a spurious input signal observed then it comes down to ic 6.
    Look at Q7/ Q8 gate pins to see if they are being driven at no signal.

Comment

There are a number of possible reasons to have DC on the output;
      The saw tooth wave is not symmetrical causing an offset,
      There is a leak in an output transistor etc.
      Mos Fets usually destroy themselves when they fail under excessive current/overload conditions.
      Q6 is unlikely the culprit.
      With your scope, is the output waveform symmetrical?
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Just put scope on gate for Q7 and Q8. Now my output is measuring a solid 75VDC. Also have 75VDC on Q7 gate and source. Looks ike Q7 is now perhaps shorting out.

I did notice prior to this test, that sometimes the DC offset would dissipate towards 0V after about 10 seconds, and wasn't always a consistent DC offset value, but now it's a solid 75VDC. I read 185 ohms from Q7G to speaker positive. Q7D is 1ohm to speaker red, and Q7S is 0 to speaker red.

Comment

Maybe Q7 has failed ... change the pair.
          Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
          If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Working...
          X