No announcement yet.

Fender M-80 112 non chorus channel bleed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct , g1. Audio signal fed through input jack and open plug inserted into PA input jack

Comment

Helmholtz, when switching between channels, R27 to ground reads open with drive ch selected and 52 ohms when clean ch selected

Comment

Originally posted by jvm View Post
        Helmholtz, when switching between channels, R27 to ground reads open with drive ch selected and 52 ohms when clean ch selected
        You should have 0R between U5C pins 4 and 3 in clean mode. Looks like bad relais contacts.

Try to directly short R27 to ground.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

You should have 0R between U5C pins 4 and 3 in clean mode. Looks like bad relais contacts.

Try to directly short R27 to ground.
          U5 is a 4053 IC, not a relay. Should 0 ohms still be expected there? He did say he replaced it (with MC14053).
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

U5 is a 4053 IC, not a relay. Should 0 ohms still be expected there? He did say he replaced it (with MC14053).
            Thanks, missed that.

Let's see if directly connecting the lower end of R27 to ground makes a difference.

Up to now results are quite confusing.
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-28-2020, 11:27 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Grounding R27 made no difference. Note that only the drive channel gain control has any effect on the dirty signal when in clean mode. When drive ch selected, all controls work as they should

Comment

Is the point between C35/R63 connected to the power amp input via a shielded wire? If so, check if the shield is connected to ground (Ohmmeter).
                Generally check all wire shields for ground contact.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Helmholtz, no shielded wires in the amp at all. It is a single pcb amp

Comment

Can you still hear some drive signal if you lift one end of C35?

Does it help to wire a 470p cap between power amp input (U6, pin 3) and ground?
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-29-2020, 11:04 PM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Helmholtz, lifting C35 reduced the level but the signal is still present. Adding a 470pf to ground at U6 pin3 had no effect at all.

Comment

lifting C35 reduced the level but the signal is still present.
                        Wow, that's weird.
                        Lifting C35 should completely isolate the power amp from the preamp.

I'm running out of ideas.

Maybe a conductive board?

Do you have a scope?
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Helmholtz, I have a scope but I'm not very experienced using it.

Comment

Helmholtz, I have a scope but I'm not very experienced using it.
                            Did you use the scope for signal tracing (post #6)?

Do you have a signal source?
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I used a audio signal tracer and cd player input. My scope has a sine wave generator.

Comment

Ok then try to do the signal tracing with the scope (AC coupling). Feed a 100mV/1kHz signal to the amp's input.
                                Especially see if there's any signal riding on power supply rails.
                                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                                X