Determining speaker polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining speaker polarity

Reassembled a Peavey amp after replacing power transformer. Works fine, sounds a bit wonky, brittle.. I took a pic of the speaker wiring connection and put it back that way. Yesterday, I reversed the polarity and seems to sound better. I know this amp was apart before so before I assume the polarity was correct, is there a way to test without having to disassemble again. I know how to test the speaker but not the speaker cables.

Plug the speaker lead into the speaker cab. Use a PP3 9volt small battery and the speaker cone should push out from the magnet if the positive battery terminal goes to the tip of the jack plug and the negative to the sleeve.
    Test momentarily and observe the direction of the cone.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

If it's a single speaker amp, polarity to the speaker should have no noticeable affect on the sound.
      Unless one of the speaker terminals is connected to the speaker frame, that could create some potential issues.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It won't sound any different no matter which polarity, as long as it's a single speaker as was said. If you heard a difference, it's your mind playing tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmactech View Post
          Yesterday, I reversed the polarity and seems to sound better
          "If it sounds better, it is better" - Benjamin Franklin, or maybe Enzo

Your perception of the sound is all that matters. caveat: there is an argument that LF energy, like kick drum wavefronts, are sensibly different when the phase is reversed. You would need to calculate (or measure) the phase relationship between the input jack and the speaker jack. Having done that, there's no real guarantee that a (near) zero phase between input and output really is the version of 'better' that you hear.
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

there is an argument that LF energy, like kick drum wavefronts, are sensibly different when the phase is reversed.
            Maybe, but don't forget that sound spreads by spatial waves. And the phase of the wave periodically reverses with the distance from its origin (speaker).
            E.g. a 400Hz sound wave reverses phase every 17"of increased distance from speaker. Different frequencies reverse phase at different distances.
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-01-2020, 07:16 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Generally speaking, though there are a few exceptions, chassis ground is speaker ground. So, if you want to know which amp wire goes to speaker ground, use your meter and see which wire is at chassis ground potential.
              Last edited by The Dude; 12-01-2020, 10:51 PM.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks. I replaced the 3 12ax7’s with groove tubes. (Had something called Ruby in it).
                Sounds better still. Put the speaker wires back to the position I found them, sounds “betterer.”

or maybe not, who knows.

thanks again.

Comment

Neither Groove nor Ruby make their own tubes. Ruby is a large seller, I used them for years. But they don't hide the fact their tubes are JJ or Sovtek or EH or SHuagang..Groove tube as well sells you 6L6s that are really Sovteks. it isn't secret.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Peavey normally uses blue and yellow wires to the speakers. Blue is the one that is connected to the negative.

Comment

So, we hinted... is this a single speaker amp? Or is it a 2x12 or other multispeaker arrangement?
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                      X