1970s Peavey Bass 300 - popping/shorting when load connected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drummer4gc View Post
    When the speaker pops, it corresponds with significant intermittent DC on the speaker out, up to about -18VDC. Back down to 0v or close between pops. No fuses blowing. Couldn’t get any reliable difference with freeze spray, although I did notice some of the power transistors getting warm (not hot).

could one or more of the power transistors be breaking down? Worth replacing them all, or is there more zeroing in here?
    I'd like to tell you checks to make, but it's a little tricky to talk about due to the schematic. There are no component designations to refer to, and there are a bunch of errors in the voltages listed on the bottom half of the power amp. I'm attaching a clearer copy.

Because it seems to be ok with no load, I think the output transistors are more likely the issue.
    The 4 power transistors furthest to the right are the outputs. The other 2 of the same type are the drivers. Not sure if they are socketed or soldered in. For test purposes you could remove a pair at a time and apply the load to try and isolate if any of them are bad.
    So you would remove 1 output from the positive side and one from the negative. If no change, put them back and remove the other pair.

Attached Files
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Don't forget always check all the resistors associated with those power transistors. An open one can create havoc.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Finally got to try a few of these suggestions out.

-replaced the power transistors one pair at a time until all 6 were replaced (with unused mj15003 that I had in my drawer). No difference.

-all the cement 5w resistors measure properly in circuit, none are open.

-I removed the power amp input capacitor to isolate any signal from the preamp. No difference.

thoughts on a next step?

thanks,
        matt

Comment

Bump. Any other ideas?

Comment

I would say move up to the next pair ahead of the output devices, but it's going to be tough subbing out those 40409 & 40410's.
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Actually I have a couple bags of those in storage, NOS. Most still in the original RCA boxes.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So, fired it up again to see where we’re at, did some testing, here are the details:

-Plugged in with no load, no bulb limiter, and fuse immediately blew. Replaced fuse, added limiter, tried again - bright glowing bulb. Moved the circuit board around a little (it’s unscrewed and balancing on a standoff) and turned it on again, got a stable dim bulb. Must’ve been something shorting.

-Plugged into a cheap 4 ohm speaker, no bulb limiter, and decided to let it run for a bit and see what happens. Got some crackling right away, not too much, so just let it go. Crackling came and went, came and went, for probably five minutes. Then, big crackles and sudden constant DC buzz on speaker, cone extended (or sucked in, can’t remember). Sprayed freeze spray on the output and driver transistors during this time, no fix. Let it go long enough to start smelling the speaker coil, turned it off.

-Pulled all six of the output trannys I had replaced, checked them one by one in a tester, all checked out - none had blown. Put back the original trannys which has all also tested fine when I pulled them, as previously mentioned.

-Pulled the 40409 and 40410, each tested fine. Put them back.

-Current state - negative DC on output regardless of if load is attached out not. About -22vdc with no load, about -8vdc with a 4ohm load.

I hate this thing. Don’t let me give up.

Comment

Never connect a speaker to a SS amp that might have DCV at its output. Speakers can tolerate only little DC power. If your voice coil started smelling, there might already be some damage.
                  Troubleshooting doesn't require a speaker. And running the amp with a speaker or dummy load may take out even more components.

If you really need to listen to the output, wire a 100R/10W min. resistor in series with the speaker.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yeah I hear ya. Thanks for the 10w resistor tip. It’s a speaker I don’t care about, and honestly I was hoping that if this issue was being caused by some intermittent component as has been suggested, leaving it in failure mode for 15-20 seconds would be enough to let the part fry completely and make the repair obvious from there. Not the most delicate solution for sure, but I’m feeling stuck. And far as I can tell, the output devices and drivers still all seem to have the magic smoke inside!

Comment

So you have a constant DC on the output now, no longer intermittent? That probably makes it easier, don't give up.

Start measuring DC at transistors and posting results.

Comment

Ugh. I'm back after trying every trick I've got, and I'm looking for your help once again.

g1, as soon as I went back to start measuring DC, I didn't have DC on the output any longer. Plugged in a speaker and it ran quietly. Turned it on the next day, sputtering crackly mess.

This is the situation I have now. Sometimes when I turn it on, it's pretty quiet and behaving well, with an occasional crackle. Like this:

Other times, I get huge DC on the output, either in big pops (like this video) or just constant DC:

These videos were taken about an hour apart, and I didn't touch anything in between filming. Over a few weeks of testing, it just seems so random - sometimes I turn it on and am met with total DC on the output; other times, it's perfectly quiet and runs smooth (couple crackles here and there) for ten minutes.

I've replaced the filter caps. I've replaced the mica insulators and checked all output transistors. I've disconnected the preamp from the power amp; no change. I've chopsticked every damn component and can't make it crackle when it's quiet, or stop crackling when it's not. I've used freeze spray when it's glitching to no avail. I've disconnected the death cap. I've reflowed every joint on the power amp board.

Any other ideas? Or strategies on how to go at this methodically and systematically when the fault is so intermittent and inconsistent?

Thanks so much all,
                        Matt

Comment

I'll say this. When I played your 2nd video, all of the speakers in my shop ran away in fear.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer4gc View Post
                            I've used freeze spray when it's glitching to no avail. I've disconnected the death cap. I've reflowed every joint on the power amp board.

Any other ideas? Or strategies on how to go at this methodically and systematically when the fault is so intermittent and inconsistent?
                            Maybe try the opposite, try and cause the fault to occur using heat. Heatgun or hairdryer will work, be careful if using heatgun as they can do damage fairly quick. Again, my hunch would be to check out those RCA transistors that have the heatsinks.

Comment

I don't recall this chassis all that well. I haven't worked on one of these for a long time. Does it have those push on connectors that go on pins sticking out of the circuit board? If so, pull, clean and reinstall them. lots of the old Peaveys have intermittent problems with those connectors.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yep, it has those pin connectors. I cleaned and retensioned each one, then figured I'd also go ahead and clean all of the output transistor sockets as well. Turned it on and it was nice and quiet for probably twenty minutes! Thought I had it solved.

Next time I turned it on, it was pretty quiet but with a few small pops, so I figured I'd go back and do a more thoughtful, thorough cleaning with deoxit this time. Not a small effort, but I cleaned up all excess insulating grease, used alcohol and deoxit to clean connections, and a quick spray of deoxit before reassembly to give better connection and contact.

Here's how it sounds after reassembly:

AGGGHHHH!

Comment

Working...
                                X