Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker options for JCM 2000 TSL601 combo

Hi Guys.
    I have this amp here for repair. Basic complaint is that the amp is too bright for the customer. He uses a Strat with single coils. Not to sure about the specifics of the guitar, BUT.
    Are there any other speaker change options I could follow given that this amp has the Marshall Wolverine stock speaker in place?
    I have read somewhere that these speakers are bright.
    The client runs the amp loud so the snipping the bright cap is not an option. Already tried it....
    Any input will be appreciated.

A cheaper solution might be a Vox type cut control. When optimal setting is found, the pot can be replaced by a fixed resistor.

But its effect will be reduced by the global NFB, so I'm not sure if it will suffice.

Regarding speakers, the Celestion Vintage 30 is rather mid-rangey, not too bright.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-31-2021, 02:49 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I love V30's (for the most part) They are my main speaker in most applications. But they can be a little bright out of the box and take some time to break in. I think the G12H (standard, the 55Hz cone version isn't necessary). I have a pair of the anniversary models and they seem to perform well and are more graceful through the break in period. More upper bass and less treble than the v30 but still deliver the "Celestion" tone in the mids. Could be a good choice for your application.

Whether you go with the V30 or the G12H there's not much to lose. Both are "relatively" affordable and have good resale value.

My favorite 2x12 combo uses one of each
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        I love V30's (for the most part) They are my main speaker in most applications. But they can be a little bright out of the box and take some time to break in. I think the G12H (standard, the 55Hz cone version isn't necessary). I have a pair of the anniversary models and they seem to perform well and are more graceful through the break in period. More upper bass and less treble than the v30 but still deliver the "Celestion" tone in the mids. Could be a good choice for your application.

Whether you go with the V30 or the G12H there's not much to lose. Both are "relatively" affordable and have good resale value.

My favorite 2x12 combo uses one of each
        Thank you Chuck.
        Tell me which G12H you are referring too.
        i see there is a G12H Anniversary 30W
        a G12H 150 Redback
        a Heritage G12-65
        a G12H 75 Creamback

thanks.

Comment

G12H Anniversary.

Also, FWIW, I have the V30's in both the old Brit made and the east Asian made versions. Believe it or not the east Asian versions sound better to me. Which is good I suppose since they don't make them Suffolk anymore as far as I know.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X