No announcement yet.

Sunn 200S Power Supply Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you know if the fundamental of the hum is 120Hz not 60Hz?

If you have a scope, please post a picture of the hum signal.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Decent 6550's should be able to handle the B+. I may have missed it, but I didn't see bias current measured in the thread yet. Not voltage, but current. If bias is extremely high, any noise/hum that might normally be considered negligible might become annoying. I would start there. It's an easy thing to check and should be checked anyway.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Ripple hum generated in the power stage is mainly caused by unbalanced idle currents (not so much by high idle currents themselves).
        Another cause could be poorly filtered bias voltage, but that would result 60Hz based hum.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-30-2021, 10:30 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I agree, but I'm not sure it's ripple hum at this point. We haven't seen scope pics.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            I agree, but I'm not sure it's ripple hum at this point.
            Neither am I.

We haven't seen scope pics
            As requested above (post #16).
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

And just for the OP's benefit. Hum is not generic. There are numerous places hum can come from. Each has its own cure. The cure for one may have zero effect on another. For example, working on your grounds will not help weak filter cps, And replacing all the filter caps will do nothing to help poorly grounded input jacks.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'll add: There may be more than one source of hum simultaneously.

Comment

Thanks folks, always learning and love the feeling of accomplishment.

I did something different to determine the hum cycle. I used my smart phone guitar tuner app to listen to the speaker output. It reported 120 hz.

Using my Bias Tester adapter, I measured current at the output tube at 58 mA. This was with 530V at the first filter cap.

I measured the amp output on the scope. Not sure I did this right (please advise). Below are pics. I have to dial up the volume to see this. At zero volume there is not much happening on the scope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scope (1).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	930390 Click image for larger version

Name:	scope (2).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	930391

Comment

The bias is on the hot side, but maybe not your problem. Still, I'd adjust for about 48mV instead of 58mV on this amp with that B+

Comment

And are both power tubes idling at that 58mA, or did you just check one? The balance could be too far off and that can cause hum as Helmholtz mentioned.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Adjusted variac to line level. Seeing 554 V at the first filter cap. Amp is drawing .9 A

Adjust output tube to 48 mA, other tube reads 40 mA. Swapped output tube positions, 40 mA lower reading stays with the tube, not the tube socket. Still see noise on the scope if I dial up the volume.

Too high difference in tube current?

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
                          I measured the amp output on the scope. Not sure I did this right (please advise). Below are pics. I have to dial up the volume to see this. At zero volume there is not much happening on the scope.
                          First picture shows a 45kHz signal riding on some low frequency, confirmed by second picture. This looks like parasitic oscillation.

To read the fundamental frequency set time base to 5ms/div or a value that allows displaying at least 2 positive peaks (or 3 zero crossings).
                          Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-01-2021, 01:27 PM.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

how can I tell a good from bad choke?
                            Measure ripple voltage at each end of the choke. There should be a significant difference before and after the choke.
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

First picture shows a 45kHz signal riding on some low frequency, confirmed by second picture. This looks like parasitic oscillation.

To read the fundamental frequency set time base to 5ms/div or a value that allows displaying at least 2 positive peaks (or 3 zero crossings).
                              Did I get it?

Name:	scope-3.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	930437

Comment

Did I get it?

Name:	scope-3.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	930437
                                Please set time base to 5ms/div as advised.
                                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                                X