Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you using in way of Axial Lead Al Elect Caps these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you using in way of Axial Lead Al Elect Caps these days?

Not having spent hundreds of dollars to buy inventory of Nichicon Axial Leaded Aluminum Electrolytic Caps before they discontinued that form factor a year or so ago, I'm now seeing the reality of what's now available thru normal distribution (unless you're a manufacturer). Yes, I know one CAN adopt radial lead parts to fit into where the original layout was set up for Axials. So, just looking thru Mouser, Digi-Key, Allied, Newark and some other sources, a 47uF/63V Axial cap....you're left with having to by CDE/Illiinois brand for under a buck, Vishay/BC brand for well over $2, Kemet for over $3. TAW Electronics is still down the street from me in Burbank, and they carry/represent Xicon in Axial Lead Caps. I've never used them, Newark carries something called Multipro...I thought I stored the data sheet in my files, then didn't find it.

Applications here are replacements for cathode bypass or bias supply. I've been buying FT and some other brand thru Antique Electronic Supply. They carry a brand called Mod Electronics that I know nothing about, but did order some 20uF/500V parts to have a look at.

Who are other viable sources for Axial lead Aluminum Electrolytic caps these days?

Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

I think you pretty much covered it.

I usually go with F&T for HV/filters and Vishay for most other things.

The F&T 100uf/100V is also very reasonably priced. They started to offer 25/25 but the cost is very high.

The 'MOD' caps are made by Cherry in Brazil.Very inexpensive.

Last edited by garytoosweet; 05-13-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

For high voltage applications, I mainly use F&T. For low voltage its also F&T, but I have been using a lot of Vishay over the past few years, both in caps and resistors. I like their metal film resistors because they're brown, and look a little more vintage than bright blue.

Comment

Steve, do you have a reseller account at cedist.com? You certainly qualify. That will save you some money.
        --
        I build and repair guitar amps
        http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
          Steve, do you have a reseller account at cedist.com? You certainly qualify. That will save you some money.
          I haven't set up to do that with any of my suppliers. I tend to 'fly below the radar' and not add to the complications that leads to. I do agree with you there. CenterStaging could do that....though the thruput having to order parts thru them substantially delays progress....which is why I've been paying tax on purchases and retail price, and charge accordingly in my billing.

Comment

Originally posted by garytoosweet View Post
            I think you pretty much covered it.

I usually go with F&T for HV/filters and Vishay for most other things.

The F&T 100uf/100V is also very reasonably priced. They started to offer 25/25 but the cost is very high.

The 'MOD' caps are made by Cherry in Brazil.Very inexpensive.
            I just placed an order for a number of 22uF/50V, 33uF/160V FT's, some 22uF/50V Illinois from Antique. Today, I didn' t see the MOD brand caps even listed...not sure why.

Comment

Xicon and pretty much any of the xxxcon caps are good quality. I've used Xicon over the years many times with no problems at all.

I tend to use a lot of F&T, but use any of the xxxcon caps also depending on pricing and what is available. For new builds I've been transitioning over to radial caps.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
                I'm in Australia, and I still order many parts from CE. The orders tend to be large (for me) at typically USD 300-500 for my bulk purchases. I use a good local Aussie supplier for the odd or larger parts (eg reverb tanks) which I can't justify storing or shipping from the USA. I pay be Visa as I go. I don't want to juggle an Account which can build up scarily fast.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post

from Antique. Today, I didn' t see the MOD brand caps even listed...not sure why.
                  https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...5-c-axial-lead

justradios is another source for caps. They were selling MIEC, which get fairly good reviews. https://www.justradios.com/axialelectrolytics.html

Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Just my limited and humble experience, but...

If you want cheap and good enough then go with Xicon. I've avoided them in the past because of their overtly east Asian/bargain presence :-/ That's my own hang up but it comes from a time when big corps were lowballing everything they were having manufactured in east Asia. That's no fault of the manufacturer and I know that. They'll make whatever you want if you're paying. Probably no longer applicable? And I've never had any problems any time I've used the Xicon AL electros. Unlike some boutique-y brands I no longer patronize.

If you want absolute quality then bite the bullet and start retrofitting radial caps. There are plenty of good ways to do this and I'll bet once you you get your mojo working it'll be no great shakes for you. I've been a devotee of Nichicon PW series caps for a several builds and repairs and I like them a lot. Great specs, decent price. Also east Asian, BUT the company never had a foothold in the 'more cheaper more better' market like Xicon was targeting.

I know I'm coming off a little racist here. I tried to explain the perspective. Just working with the information as it happens because what else to do.

JM2C and sorry if I've offended anyone.

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                      https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...5-c-axial-lead

justradios is another source for caps. They were selling MIEC, which get fairly good reviews. https://www.justradios.com/axialelectrolytics.html
                      I've bought from them and used the MIEC in several builds . No issues so far 3 or 4 years ago.
                      nosaj
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Apologies if this takes the thread off topic, but I’m curious to know how you all install radials in place of axials. I’ve done it and it’s usually simple enough to figure out a way to make things fit, but I’m curious to know what strategies you all use to keep the work clean looking, reliable, etc. Pics of clean work would be great to see!

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer4gc View Post
                          Apologies if this takes the thread off topic, but I’m curious to know how you all install radials in place of axials. I’ve done it and it’s usually simple enough to figure out a way to make things fit, but I’m curious to know what strategies you all use to keep the work clean looking, reliable, etc. Pics of clean work would be great to see!
                          Usually if replacing a axial with a radial depending on how old it is (say a 70s peavey the traces are so big sometimes I just drill a hole closer on the same trace. Other times the radial leads are long enough to make the stretch. A dot of hot glue on the cap can secures it.
                          nosaj
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

One thing I like about the Nichicon and Vishay caps I buy are the date codes.

You don't get that with MIEC and others. Who knows how old the caps you're getting are.

Comment

There is wide variety of axial options here.

https://www.justradios.com/cart.html

Edit: just realized G1 already mentioned them

Last edited by DrGonz78; 05-14-2021, 08:43 AM.
                              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
                              X