No announcement yet.

LarMar PPIMV question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For most natural amp distortion I would definitely consider a good ("reactive") power attenuator.

Over here I could buy one from a large online shop, try it out for up to 30 days (2 weaks minimum) and return it for money-back if I don't like it.

Or build one yourself.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      For most natural amp distortion I would definitely consider a good ("reactive") power attenuator.

Over here I could buy one from a large online shop, try it out for up to 30 days (2 weaks minimum) and return it for money-back if I don't like it.

Or build one yourself.
      I've got a Weber Mass 200. It's resistive and reactive as far as I know. It's got an actual speaker coil in it, just no cone.

I use it at home but I don't take it out for practice or gigs. I'd rather the PPIMV for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_L View Post

I actually have that type installed right now. It works but it seems all of it's adjustment is in a very narrow range.
        I find crossline master volumes like this work better in amps with no neg feedback, like Trainwreck or Vox.

Marshalls sound better with the LarMar

I built a couple amps that can foot switch between two mv's, dual master volumes

Comment

Well I'm gonna try the LarMar with my 750k dual pot and 200k safety resistors and hope for the best, I guess.

I need to change the bias caps anyway....they're original from 1973.

Comment

Well, I done did it.

I took out the unnecessary polarity switch on the front panel and put the PPIMV there. It's kind of a long wire run but I twisted the bujeezus out of the wires for au-naturale noise cancellation. I do have two-conductor shielded wire but I had all this color-correct scrap wire laying around so I thought what the hell? It seems to work great. The bias is steady as a rock and the taper is smooth and even. I scoped it and played it and it seems good to me. I think this is much better than the Trainwreck Type 3 crossline MV for this particular amp.

Comment

Working...
            X