Mesa Heads Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Heads Up

If you have an older Mesa Boogie with some odd problems, tone/volume controls weird or no preamp output, check the 400 volt Orange drop coupling caps.

This Quad Reverb was the fourth in a row where they were the problem.

Obviously not gonna be the solution to every problem, but just throwing it out there.
    And experienced guys will pick it up quickly.

Quad Reverb, yikes do these have stuff jammed in there.
    Two, not one, but two Reverb tanks in parallel.. for double the flavor I guess.

Oh, how I hate working on Mesas. I have a Fillmore coming in tomorrow. Wish me luck.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
      Oh, how I hate working on Mesas. I have a Fillmore coming in tomorrow. Wish me luck.
      Bound to be a bear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fillmore_bear.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	940880

Anybody remember Fillmore Bear, rarely seen member of the Rocky & Bullwinkle menagerie ?

Anyway . . . I've had to yank a few errant OD's out of Mesas. Looks like there may be a rash of them in upcoming years. Not as totally reliable as we thought apparently. How dismaying.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

They could have at least used 600 volt one's.

Strange, I have no memory of Fillmore Bear.
        And I watched Rocky and Bullwinkle as a yute.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
          They could have at least used 600 volt one's.

Strange, I have no memory of Fillmore Bear.
          And I watched Rocky and Bullwinkle as a yute.
          Similar problem in old Fenders. 400V might have marginally worked in the day. Now it's 40 - 70 years later can't count on them so much. 600 - 630V film caps are what I keep in stock, mostly Mallory 150 and Panasonic brown chiclets.

Fillmore was a rare bear. I only saw him a couple times. But instantly got reminded when Randall mentioned Fillmore. Remember Leo Gnardo was active in another R&B presentation, always quietly advising Klyde Krashkup. Great stuff, those were the days.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Did you say, "yute"?
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, I try to amuse youse guys.

Comment

image widget
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                X