Anyone know anything about this MiracleWatt Device/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about this MiracleWatt Device/

I spotted this add for a product called Miraclewatt, that plugs into an outlet closest to the AC Mains Breaker Panel in your home, claiming to vastly reduce your power bill. Electric Saver (electric-saver.com)

Hard to believe something contained in the small package that's plugged into the Mains socket being able to both clean up the ragged voltage/current waveform of the load, as well as shift the current back to being in phase with the voltage being sourced.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

It cannot work and does not work. It is a scam.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdFVvIo8CZI
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

An electricity meter counts consumed electrical energy (kW-hours), given by real power times hours.
      The ad suggests you would be charged by apparent power (Vrms times Irms), which is wrong.

So even if the device works as described (which I doubt), you won't save.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

While it saves you tons of money on all your power bills. It also has a Glade plug in section that will keep your house smelling "Oh so Fresh!"
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I figured as much. Thanks
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Incredibly, this one is even worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA5G7kR_xa8
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Actually those things do work. They keep you from plugging something into a perfectly good outlet. If you buy enough of them and cover up all of your outlets, you won't use any power at all.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Incredibly, this one is even worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA5G7kR_xa8
                BigClive has made some very interesting and amusing videos.
                Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Break it open and what do we have???
                  A capacitor.
                  https://cyberscamreview.com/miracle-...oax-explained/

Comment

Power saving devices do work - they're commonly used in industry, but they're very large units and not on a domestic scale. Here in the UK there's a good argument for reducing the incoming mains supply to work more efficiently with appliances rated at 230v, now commonly sold over here despite UK mains being over 240v (mine is 248v). When powering a motor the excess voltage is dissipated as heat with no mechanical advantage to say, running a refrigerator or washing machine. You'd need (say) an auto transformer, power factor correction and power conditioning on our supplies to make any difference. Then factor in the cost of the unit and payback, then any savings are negated.

Comment

Reactive mains currents cause losses in the distribution network.
                      So utilities have a strong interest to limit them.

No benefit to the consumer from power factor correction (PFC).
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

ElectroBoom to the rescue!!
                        (1) Power Saver Scam EXPOSED! - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post

BigClive has made some very interesting and amusing videos.
                          I strongly agree, in addition his video about caring for his mothers with dementia is perhaps the most touching things I've ever seen in the interwebs...

Comment

Maybe 20 years ago someone was marketing a magnet to install on the fuel line of your auto. "By polarizing the fuel, there is a more complete combustion, and a noticeable fuel savings!"
                            One of my old hippie customers bought one and installed it on his fuel line. While in for some minor repairs he commented that it didn't seem to help much, I asked him if he was sure he got the polarity correct. A couple of weeks later he called and said "that was it!" "economy hasn't changed, but it really runs a lot better."
                            I'm pretty sure it was the magnet, and not the clean air filter I had installed!

Comment

Well, capacitor phase compensation works and has been used since many decades in lighting, facility and industrial network installations.
                              Problem is that the capacitance needs to be tuned to the total inductance of the load.

The example with a 3.2 µF cap can perfectly compensate a 3H load inductance at 50Hz.
                              But that's all. And reactive load currents are not always inductive.
                              With no load plugged in, the unit itself will draw a considerable capacitive mains current. Same with a resistive load.

In the EU we have rather strict power factor limitations for electrical products and products which don't comply must not be marketed.

Also I doubt that an X-capacitor that large complies with (EU) safety regulation regarding non-stationary electrical equipment, as touching the plug pins with a charged cap poses a safety risk.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X