Mesa Single Rectifier Mystery noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Single Rectifier Mystery noise

I getting static sort of hum from my Mesa and my rig is not even plugged into. I have twenty plugged into the same power with hospital grade receptacles. Tested on other circuits and the noise comes and goes but more frequent as it gets warmer. I not sure its EMI it happens in other jam rooms outside of mine. I checked the tubes seemed to be fine but I am not pro by any stretch. Any thoughts? See the attachment. Appreciate your time and Thanks
    Attached Files

I would swap tubes one at a time as a first check. Of course it could be any number of things, but that sound makes me suspect tube(s). You say you "checked the tubes". I'm not sure how, but visual inspection, or even a tube tester, will not tell you much.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks, I checked them visually didn't see any burn or any type of arc when turning it on. I really appreciate your quick reply and I think I was just looking for some reassurance to change the tubes. Off to the music store one of my favorite things to do as well. Much appreciated , I think the ol girl is due for a new set anyway. Thanks.

Comment

Looks to be a mix of Electro Harmonix and Sovtek in the preamp section so I think previous owner must have swapped out with some at some point which could be why I am getting this noise.

Comment

Any brand tube can come up noisy. It is often that someone tries different tubes, looking for ones less noisy or less microphonic or that just sound better when overdriven. Nothing wrong with mixed brands of tubes.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Preamp tubes serve individual functions in the amp and there's generally no reason for "matching". Quite the contrary in fact. While power tubes should be of the same brand and hopefully batch. If not actually "matched".
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

So, I took a 12ax7 out of my working Deville and it turned out to be V2. I will order some new tubes regardless but I am back in business with the Mesa. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X