No announcement yet.

Roland Super Cube 60 Squeal Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would a TRS jack work? There is no switch on it and only 3 lugs.

Comment

What about something like this? https://www.parts-express.com/Rean-N...oaAs_UEALw_wcB

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        A single switch version is available from the same supplier, search the website.
        Found it, but not the right fit either.

Looks like I need to home-brew a solution. Right now I have the original jack back in there. It works with two exceptions. It makes a horrible pop noise when inserting the cable. Once inserted it is okay but if the plug moves the awful squeal comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
          Yes, that's what I meant, a TRS with switch contacts. I'll try to draw something up.

I guess you cleaned out the original and checked for any bent or damaged contacts?

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

Yes, that's what I meant, a TRS with switch contacts. I'll try to draw something up.

I guess you cleaned out the original and checked for any bent or damaged contacts?
            I cleaned and inspected it. I cannot get access to any contacts to bend due to its housing.

I am trying to understand the switching on the Drive jack; In the schematic the tip (5) looks un-switched. Pin (2) and (3) is the only switching, with one or the other to ground?

A TRS jack drawing would be great!

Thank you

Click image for larger version  Name:	scl-60-schem.png Views:	0 Size:	218.0 KB ID:	953622

Comment

Yes, the tip of drive jack is non-switched.
              I hope this will do it. The schematic shows different grounds for the switch part and the jack, but I think this will work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scl jack.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	953641

Comment

I hope this will do it. The schematic shows different grounds for the switch part and the jack, but I think this will work.

Name:	scl jack.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	953641
                Interesting. I will order the jack and get back with the results. May be a couple weeks.

Thank you!

Comment

Make sure you purchase the correct jack sockets!
                  They have extra contact switching on the 'drive' socket.
                  Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                  If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                    Make sure you purchase the correct jack sockets!
                    They have extra contact switching on the 'drive' socket.
                    The method I suggested in post #21 relies on the 'natural' action of a mono plug shorting together the ring and sleeve of a TRS jack.
                    If someone decided to try it with a TRS cable, it would not work right.

In this particular case, the original 'normal' jack is remaining in use, and the cliff style jack is replacing the 'drive' jack.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	scl jack.jpg Views:	49 Size:	37.4 KB ID:	953641
                      I finally got the jack and tried this but it did not work.

When I turn on the amp (volume at zero) there is a different very loud horn sound. If I plug in a guitar, there is a different loud buzz sound. Both of these sounds will knock you out of your chair.

Now that I have the new 6 pin jack it will be quick to try more configuration suggestions. I am hopeful that something will work.

On the input jack board I removed the drive jack #2 and soldered a wire to pins 5 for the drive, and pins 2 and 3 for the switching. It is quick to clip jumpers from these wires to the new jack.

Pin 1 is ground and is jumped to the new input jack.

Thank you

Comment

I mounted J1 to the panel and now have no more squeal. However the drive plug signal is not working.

The tip pin 5 is 133K to ground with cable inserted and also not inserted.

Comment

Can you post some pics? Did you use the exact Neutrik Rean NYS212 ?

Comment

Right now it is a spaghetti of clipped wires, I must have had a bad contact as it is now working per g1 wiring diagram. Yay!

I will solder it up and send pics of the finished work.

Thank you!

Comment

Working great! Thank you

Name:	IMG_20220927_093521508.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	969617 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220927_093514685.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	709.6 KB
ID:	969618