Laney sound fades out, then comes back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney sound fades out, then comes back

Laney VH100R problem: when worms up, sound suddenly fades out, then after few seconds or minutes comes back. Keeps repeating. It kind of feels like somebody turns off the Stand By Switch then turns it on again. All preamp and power tubes changed, biased at about 70%. Tubes, cables and guitar problems ruled out. It effects all channels, and both preamp and power amp section, as I sad like somebody turns off and on Stand by switch. Heaters and pilot lites keeps working, sound goes away.. I am looking at page 4 of Schematic, at that Relay 5 and or TS9 could it be any of those?? Any other ideas??
    Attached Files

Before you go replacing those parts, monitor your B+ see if it drops out when you have the symptoms. Relay 5 and TS9 are part of a delay turn on circuit that switches B+ to the amp. So, see if you still have B+ after the relay when the amp cuts out.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Emetal View Post
      both preamp and power amp section, as I sad like somebody turns off and on Stand by switch.
      So the problem happens when you put signal in at the 'Power Amp In' jack?

Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        So the problem happens when you put signal in at the 'Power Amp In' jack?
        Yes, once when it happend I quickly took guitar cable out of the front and placed it in to "Power Amp In" jack and it was also dead. So the whole amp is affected, yes. When the sound comes back all inputs work good again, everything perfect, and than all over again... The only thing not effected is heaters and pilot lites.

Comment

The damn problem will not happend at a bedroom level, I have to be playing at a rehearsel level with a volume a bit over 2.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            Before you go replacing those parts, monitor your B+ see if it drops out when you have the symptoms. Relay 5 and TS9 are part of a delay turn on circuit that switches B+ to the amp. So, see if you still have B+ after the relay when the amp cuts out.
            I will, but I have to take it to a rehearsal space again since the problem does not manifest itself at a bedroom levels, seems that I have to be playing with a volume level just a bit over 2. Which is loud for home :-/

Comment

You have checked the send return connectors and the connecting cables within the amplifier, they are reknown to give issues as the contacts heat and expand. Give them a wiggle and your issue will most likely dissapear.
              Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
              If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                You have checked the send return connectors and the connecting cables within the amplifier, they are reknown to give issues as the contacts heat and expand. Give them a wiggle and your issue will most likely dissapear.
                I am using preamp out - power amp in loop all the time since I have Delay and solo boost in there. This amp has several other send return loops but they are all WITHIN preamp section as I can see, they would not influence the power amp section right? In my case power amp section goes dead TOO when this happens. I will wiggle everything but it all seems tight.. The biggest problem for me is to recreate the issue, then it would be much easier to trouble shoot

Comment

Do you have a load resistor you can use instead of a speaker?
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Played at home for two and a half hours, heated the amp with the hairdryer, knocked everything with wooden stick, wiggled and shook, voltmeter hooked on B+ for monitoring and nothing happend. Seems that amp must be played at higher volume for this to happen. I will do that over the weekend and post update. In a mean time any guesses are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                      Do you have a load resistor you can use instead of a speaker?
                      No I don't, I use speaker, why? What you have in mind? You mean to crank it up at home without attracting police :-) I will check if I can obtain one here in Serbia, but I will take the amp to a rehearshel space over the weekend and crank it anyway..
                      Last edited by Emetal; 05-12-2022, 06:52 PM.

Comment

This is what I have used for many years. I can crank a large amplifier up and I get a pleasing 2Watts of power.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 21.49.50.png
Views:	244
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	960190
                        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

This is what I have used for many years. I can crank a large amplifier up and I get a pleasing 2Watts of power.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 21.49.50.png Views:	14 Size:	5.3 KB ID:	960190
                          Overhere I can not find 8 OHms 100 Watt resistor but they have 8,2 Ohms 50 Watt, maybe that should be OK? I do not have to crank more then 2, or 3 on the volume. Very usefull gadget :-) will make one definitely. Thanks.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 21.49.50.png
Views:	244
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	960190
                            If the speaker is 8 Ohms and resistor is 8 Ohms, then total load of this gadget is 4 Ohms right?

Comment

The series lamp acts as a compressor. Its resistance increases with applied voltage.
                              With 12V across the lamp, its nominal resistance is 66R. At low voltage its resistance might be only 10R.
                              So total load impedance may roughly vary between 6R and 7R.

Problem is that at 100W output the 12V lamp voltage will be considerably exceeded.
                              Maybe two 12V lamps in series?
                              Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-13-2022, 12:15 AM.
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X