No announcement yet.

Gibson GA-8T 120hz.Hum & No Tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a stupid mistake above (please see Edit). The trem depth wiper must not be disconnected, rather it should be at ground potential.
    The idea behind is to prevent HF generated by a possible malfunction of the trem generator entering the power stage.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

All tests and readings have been with both trem pots at zero. Tone at 5, Volume at 5.

Enzo, I tried your approach and I had to change the time base because it was way beyond double the waves.

My earlier scope pic had the wrong setting on the scope probe X factor. It was 10X and should have been 1X. I am not using an actual probe, I have a dummy load box and the connection to the scope is coming out of the dummy load box, see pic.

I have taken more pictures. One with time set to 5 ms, the rest the time is set to 5 us which is the only time base showing a legible wave form. The different pics show different settings on the scope.

I do not have enough experience using the scope for this type of analysis and I appreciate everyone's help and patience.

Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220625_144955050.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	1,012.1 KB
ID:	962992 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220625_145055555.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	962989 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220625_145142156.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	962990 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220625_145022122.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	962993

Name:	IMG_20220625_145318962.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	962994 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220625_145521684.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	894.0 KB
ID:	962991

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
        My earlier scope pic had the wrong setting on the scope probe X factor. It was 10X and should have been 1X.
        So oscillation amplitude is actually 10 times lower.

I have taken more pictures. One with time set to 5 ms,
        The first pic (with 5ms/div) shows trigger instability.
        Find the trigger section on the front panel (probably on the far right).
        Press the trigger source button and select "line".
        Then carefully adjust the trigger level knob to get a stable display with a single curve.
        It might help to select "HF reject" in the trigger mode menu.

In case of doubt consult the scope's manual.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The first pic (that is not triggering right), seems to be 60Hz (the curve of the waveform looks like it will be 3+ divisions at 5mS per div.)
          If you put a short across the input jack, is the hum still there with volume up?
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            The first pic (that is not triggering right), seems to be 60Hz (the curve of the waveform looks like it will be 3+ divisions at 5mS per div.)
            If you put a short across the input jack, is the hum still there with volume up?
            Both inputs have shorted jacks and there is no plug inserted into them.

Comment

Both inputs have shorted jacks and there is no plug inserted into them.
              Yes. And if the shorting part malfunctions, you could get oscillation like this. Short the tip to ground manually to be sure.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

So oscillation amplitude is actually 10 times lower.

The first pic (with 5ms/div) shows trigger instability.
                Find the trigger section on the front panel (probably on the far right).
                Press the trigger source button and select "line".
                Then carefully adjust the trigger level knob to get a stable display with a single curve.
                It might help to select "HF reject" in the trigger mode menu.

In case of doubt consult the scope's manual.
                I am reading the scope manual.

trigger source option includes "ac line", when I select that I cannot get to a single curve.

If I choose the autoset function which is suppose to set all the params and display the results, it changes the trigger source to CH 1 and DC coupling and displays the following pic.

Name:	IMG_20220625_203834137.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	640.5 KB
ID:	963032

Comment

Don't confuse the high frequency oscillation with hum.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Don't confuse the high frequency oscillation with hum.
                    But HF would not be audible, right?

I hear hum at the output/speaker and also at V1A plate (pin 6). Both increase with the VOL control. My frequency analyzer phone app tells me the speaker output is 120 Hz. This app has been very good at differentiating 60 Hz and 120 Hz.

Should I try to move all ground connections to one place?

When I first got the amp it had a rats nest of ground wires, filter caps, resistors, and no OT. I think all grounds were connected to pin 3 of the rectifier and I believe that is grounded via the white wire connecting all the pot and input jack grounds (so the grounding was probably the input jack contact to the chassis).

Below is a pic when I first got it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211204_142706843.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	963042
                    Thank you
                    Last edited by misterc57; 06-26-2022, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                      Looking at the lower envelope line (and with a little fantasy) I might read something like 1.7 divisions between peaks, resulting in 118Hz.

Obviously the 120Hz component is much smaller than the 41kHz oscillation, making it hard to trigger and display.
                      What I was hoping to see was a dark band of HF with the upper and lower envelopes showing the 120Hz modulation.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If I choose the autoset function which is suppose to set all the params and display the results, it changes the trigger source to CH 1 and DC coupling and displays the following pic.
                        Your output signal consists of a strong HF oscillation plus some 120Hz ripple.
                        The autoset function only works for the larger (HF) component.

Anyway you must get rid of the oscillation and changes are that will also cure the 120Hz hum.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Good news. Hum is gone.

I removed all wires going to rectifier pin 3. The two PT center taps, one green striped and one red striped moved to my new ground point with all the filter caps.

The floating black wire removed from the circuit. The white wire coming from the pots/jacks was already at ground so I did not connect that one. Was this white wire causing a ground loop?

Thank you everyone!

Next, Figure out why I have no tremolo. I have not started to look at that issue yet. Suggestions?

MarkO

Name:	IMG_20220626_103357098.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	963049

Comment

Good news. Hum is gone.
                            HF oscillation also gone?
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

HF oscillation also gone?
                              I am not sure, I now see this on the scope. No input connections, TREM pots at zero, VOT and TONE pots at 5. This signal varies with the VOL control.

I also noticed that while playing a guitar it sounds horrible with the VOL past 7 and gets worse at 10.

Thank you

Name:	IMG_20220626_114240971.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	517.7 KB
ID:	963054

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220626_114240971.jpg Views:	0 Size:	517.7 KB ID:	963054
                                Looks like the same HF oscillation frequency as before but way lower amplitude.

Watching the scope, does chopsticking wires affect the oscillation?
                                Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-26-2022, 04:52 PM.
                                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                                X