Supreme (Garnet) Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme (Garnet) Amp

Not even finished with the Ampeg but now I have this tiny Garnet clone with the 'Supreme' badge on it.
    Looked through all the Garnet schematics but could not find a match. This has no power trans (just a 150 ohm 10 watt resistor going to the rec tube). 35W4 rec tube, 50C5 power tube, & 12AX7 preamp.
    Pretty loud 60/120 hz hum. Changed all the tubes which were ancient. There is a Nichicon can cap (which I doubt is original, it has a 99 cent price tag on it) Nichicon # 41-45271-1 - 3 caps, 750uF @ 175V, & 2X 100uF @ 250V.
    Are these original values? What would be logical values for this little amp? Anyone have a schematic?
    Hey g1, it's made in Winnipeg!
    I'm not old - I'm vintage

Those cap values look high for the age of this amp. I don't have a schematic, but what you describe is a widow maker. You will need to install an isolation transformer to make it safe. It's a 3 tube amp, so ought to be pretty simple. If you can't find a schematic, just draw up your own.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Those cap values look high for the age of this amp. I don't have a schematic, but what you describe is a widow maker. You will need to install an isolation transformer to make it safe. It's a 3 tube amp, so ought to be pretty simple. If you can't find a schematic, just draw up your own.
      Yes, first thing I noticed - no PT. As for drawing my own schematic, you are confusing me with someone who knows what they are doing LOL
      Last edited by mtlbasslad; 06-07-2022, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Seems like it might have some similarities to this amp. I think both would be guitar variations on the All American 5 (AA5) tube radio circuit. Adding an isolation transformer and adding some shielding around the input on mine helped the hum quite a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MelodyA-3LN.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.3 KB ID:	961806

Comment

3 watts sounds a little optimistic . See where it says AC 100 V ? Secondary of the isolation transformer ( I like N-68X ) goes there . Disconnect cap and resistor to ground . Be sure mains safety ground is connected to chassis . Input tube heater at the earthy end of the heater string . Other values can be gotten from data sheets . If you can't get rid of the hum you can add another filter before the power tube supply but it will reduce power . In the end there are only so many ways to build a 3 tube amp .

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
            Seems like it might have some similarities to this amp. I think both would be guitar variations on the All American 5 (AA5) tube radio circuit. Adding an isolation transformer and adding some shielding around the input on mine helped the hum quite a bit.

Click image for larger version Name:	MelodyA-3LN.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.3 KB ID:	961806
            glebert I see only 2 40uF 150WV caps in there - like The Dude said 750uF seems a bit steep...?

Comment

Originally posted by mtlbasslad View Post
              There is a Nichicon can cap (which I doubt is original, it has a 99 cent price tag on it) Nichicon # 41-45271-1 - 3 caps, 750uF @ 175V, & 2X 100uF @ 250V.
              Are these original values? What would be logical values for this little amp? Anyone have a schematic?
              Hey g1, it's made in Winnipeg!
              This schematic should pretty much be a match. Lark was the Pepco version of it, Garnet and Pepco both did the stencils and used some of the same schematics.
              See note about cap unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pepco-pine-electronic-products-co-model-801-393478.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	961873

Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks g1 - this looks like what I have on the bench. I see no voltages over 150 so I'll look for a suitable can cap, 20-30-50 uF or better.

Comment

Originally posted by 35L6 View Post
                  3 watts sounds a little optimistic . See where it says AC 100 V ? Secondary of the isolation transformer ( I like N-68X ) goes there . Disconnect cap and resistor to ground . Be sure mains safety ground is connected to chassis . Input tube heater at the earthy end of the heater string . Other values can be gotten from data sheets . If you can't get rid of the hum you can add another filter before the power tube supply but it will reduce power . In the end there are only so many ways to build a 3 tube amp .
                  I can only find N-48X or N-51X on DigiKey - 15VA or 35VA - which one is appropriate?

Comment

The amp is tiny, what is the mains fuse rating? On the other hand, the 35 watt one - is it that much larger? Is it that much more expensive? Never hurts to have more than you need.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'll look for a suitable can cap, 20-30-50 uF or better.
                      With rectifier tubes, there is a max. limit of the capacitance it can be directly connected to. So you would not want to exceed the 50uF at rectifier pin 7.
                      Assuming that the 750uF was connected at pin7, the rectifier tube may be damaged.

I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I can only find N-48X or N-51X on DigiKey - 15VA or 35VA - which one is appropriate?
                        Something is wrong with their search function. I searched for N-68 in the search box and it pointed me to N-68X-B which is out of stock. But using the selector function, it finds the N-68X with 55 in stock.
                        https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/d.../N-68X/1887210

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                          The amp is tiny, what is the mains fuse rating? On the other hand, the 35 watt one - is it that much larger? Is it that much more expensive? Never hurts to have more than you need.
                          Don't know the fuse rating - 2A in there now. But you are right, bigger one is only $2 more..

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            With rectifier tubes, there is a max. limit of the capacitance it can be directly connected to. So you would not want to exceed the 50uF at rectifier pin 7.
                            Assuming that the 750uF was connected at pin7, the rectifier tube may be damaged.
                            I put in a new rec tube & only ran it long enough to hear the hum. Got crazy readings on the can cap, must replace

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

Something is wrong with their search function. I searched for N-68 in the search box and it pointed me to N-68X-B which is out of stock. But using the selector function, it finds the N-68X with 55 in stock.
                              https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/d.../N-68X/1887210
                              DigiKey website drives me crazy - neverless I still don't know which of the 3 iso trans I need. All presuming 'customer' will pay... Sheesh

Comment

Working...
                              X