Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What wire type is best for Turret Board to Vacuum Tube sockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Cheap solder pot:

Use an old Weller gun with the two pipes sticking out and the tip which is essentially a wire bent in two. Now take an empty 22 rifle shell and wedge it up within that tip loop. Turn the gun on and melt solder into the shell. Voila, little solder pot.
    It might be a good point to emphasize that it's a empty shell when you start. Otherwise it'd be empty soon enough!
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Where would you put the iron if the shell wasn't empty?

Comment

To use this trick, the gun is already on its side, so I just leave it there. It isn't an iron.

It looks like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	WE_D550PK_product1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	963324
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm sure most understood your technique, Enzo, I meant to say "Solder".

Comment

If I don't have 22 shell handy, will 50 cal work ok?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You know what the price of solder is now! It would take a lot to fill a 50!

Comment

If stucked with stranded a litle trick may help: after soldering just heat the wire with a heatgun keeping on position. It will remain pretty rigid when cooling. I used to use this "technique" for twisted pairs. Keeping tensioned just heat the wires and keep it tensioned till cooling down. It will remain tight twisted. Off course this can be possible with pvc type not teflon insulation. The ideea comes from old TV where found stranded wires becomes extremly rigid due to wearing by internal heat. Pre tinned wires also help as the filaments get stucked together by a length, at least at the ends where heating aplies helping to keep the wire more rigid on position.
                I don't like to see loops wire into a electric equipment, it have not a professional appearance. The wiring should be 90 degree right posed and stucked like that to get a neat impress.
                Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-30-2022, 10:05 PM.
                "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

I found I had a small sample of this very pliable soft insulation. I think it's Silicon Rubber insulation. The solid buss wire they use must be 21AWG. Slightly smaller than 20AWG, and definitely larger then 22AWG. I fired up my soldering iron, presently set for 750 Deg F, and applied that tip to this GRN rubber insulation, and it doesn't melt or shrivel up.

I've been trying to find a source for the material. I have no trouble finding Silicone Rubber insulated wire, but....so far, NOT having any luck finding a source for the Silicon Rubber insulation. Alpha only has FIT PVC-105 material, 300V insulation, only color is BLK, 18AWG tubing is 0.016" wall thickness. This material Hiwatt is using is 0.075" OD with a wall thickness of about 0.025". Very pliable. I like this stuff. So, who sells it? Getting ANY information out of Hiwatt, when I'm supposed to be their LA-based service tech.....nobody knows nothin'. GRRRRRRR!!!

Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
                  X