Shure vintage wireless guitar, died ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    Do the diversity lights light up when the transmitter is switched on? If either does, it indicates that the receiver is receiving RF.
    No, neither of the two diversity LEDs is on

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Sure. Just want him to realize he is just picking up the environment, not the transmitter.
      yes that i had understood

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Yes, I figured but wanted to hint at the battery (might be dead) and the proper use of scope probes.
        new battery bought just today

Comment

Here a picture of the receiver

https://ibb.co/GJBGfD8

I guess the inductances are used to select the right frequency and i hope it's not one of those

Comment

Please do not start messing with variable inductors. I've worked on hundreds of wireless systems and don't recall ever having to mess with those. They rarely go bad and would not have just moved by themselves. Since you have no diversity lights, it is far more likely that the transmitter is not working than a problem with the receiver. The majority of receiver problems are caused by a customer using the wrong power supply. So, that begs the question. Are you using the correct power supply?
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Please do not start messing with variable inductors. I've worked on hundreds of wireless systems and don't recall ever having to mess with those. They rarely go bad and would not have just moved by themselves. Since you have no diversity lights, it is far more likely that the transmitter is not working than a problem with the receiver. The majority of receiver problems are caused by a customer using the wrong power supply. So, that begs the question. Are you using the correct power supply?
              I don't even think about touching the inductors The power supply is 12V and is the stock one.
              Last edited by ricci; 06-29-2022, 11:07 PM.

Comment

For clarification: The supply that came with the unit? And/Or it is DCV NOT ACV? Sorry to ask such seemingly silly questions, but it's a common problem at our production warehouse ("techs" trying to use the wrong supplies).
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

For clarification: The supply that came with the unit? And/Or it is DCV NOT ACV? Sorry to ask such seemingly silly questions, but it's a common problem at our production warehouse ("techs" trying to use the wrong supplies).
                  DCV

Comment

https://ibb.co/5cTSmQL

As you can see it can work with DC voltages between 12V and 18V but i have always used the 12 Vdc adapter pictured

Comment

The majority of receiver problems are caused by a customer using the wrong power supply.
                      Another real common problem used to be that the transmitter crystal died (usually from being dropped). Not sure if they are more robust now?

Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Now I remember that when a few months ago I realized that it wasn't working, I thought that maybe they were the now old and dry electrolytic capacitors, and in fact at the time I replaced two of them (the ones circled in yellow) with 470 uF 16V, but probably for some reason I left everything pending and now I realized that a cap is missing and I inserted one of 470uF 16V (the one circled in orange), probably the same as the other two.

https://ibb.co/rsBTkwb

But it still doesn't work even though I heard a small but very low volume sound when tapping near the input jack for a moment. The diversity lights don't turn on yet.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          Not sure if they are more robust now?
                          sorry I didn't understand what you mean
                          Edit:
                          if you want to know if it works i don't know how to verify it.
                          Last edited by ricci; 06-30-2022, 12:57 AM.

Comment

He said dropping transmitters sometimes cracks the Crystal - that is a part inside that determines frequency. He hopes modern day crystals are more robust - that is they will withstand dropping more.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              He said dropping transmitters sometimes cracks the Crystal - that is a part inside that determines frequency. He hopes modern day crystals are more robust - that is they will withstand dropping more.
                              Only those who work with quartz every day can tell

Comment

I have a selection of crystals for other applications, and if I think I have a dead one, I just sub another in its place and find out. Just for test, it doesn't matter if it is the wrong frequency, it just shows that the circuit is capable of driving a crystal.
                                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                                X