Leslie 122 Bias Monitoring Resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie 122 Bias Monitoring Resistors

Is there any reason NOT to add a 1Ω 1/2 watt resistor between Pin 8 on each 6550 and the 150Ω cathode resistor to make it easy to reliably check the plate currents on the tubes?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Leslie-122 schematic- amp only.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.4 KB ID:	966096
    Attached Files
    Last edited by patlaw; 08-06-2022, 02:07 PM.

Sorry, this post should have been in "Other Amps". I don't see how to delete this post.

Comment

Originally posted by patlaw View Post
      Is there any reason NOT to add a 1Ω 1/2 watt resistor between Pin 8 on each 6550 and the 150Ω cathode resistor to make it easy to reliably check the plate currents on the tubes?
      No problem.
      But you'll need to measure voltage drop directly across the 1R resistors and not from cathodes to ground.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Or simply measure voltage across cathode resistor, calculate current from that, then divide by two to get current per tube. I don't recall ever having a bias issue on a Leslie amp.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Or simply measure voltage across cathode resistor, calculate current from that, then divide by two to get current per tube. I don't recall ever having a bias issue on a Leslie amp.
          Me, either. However, the tube shortage and prices have some people hypersensitive to tube bias. Before the pandemic, most of them probably didn't know what it is.

Comment

Most of them still don't know, it is just a fancy word to throw around.

I bet if you just mount a test point on the chassis wired to the cathode, and point it out to them, they will be impressed.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              . I don't recall ever having a bias issue on a Leslie amp.
              While that's a strong argument, I understand the wish to read each tube individually - especially if there's some residual 120Hz ripple hum.
              I think that a common cathode resistor tends to increase imbalance of unmatched tubes.

Voltage drop across the cathode resistor is produced by the sum of the cathode currents, but doesn't mean that each tube contributes 50%.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 08-06-2022, 05:47 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
              X