Yamaha CR640 Receiver Pwr Amp module issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha CR640 Receiver Pwr Amp module issues

A couple months ago, the former General Mgr of CenterStaging, LLC brought me his aged Yamaha CR640 Receiver that needed work. I managed to restore the power supply and recapped a lot of the unit, beginning with the power supply and areas around the Power Amp stages, along with the Phono preamp and PS filters for the Tuner/Receiver area. A week after he had it, be brought it back, it having blown the mains fuse. I found one of the two Power Amp Modules had shorted power amp xstrs. IG02980 Hybrid amp modules, long out of production. These work in concert with an IG02950 PreDriver hybrid module, also long out of production.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reassembled-8.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	981017 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear View, Powered-1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	981019 Click image for larger version

Name:	Top View-3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	981021

Yamaha_IG02980 Power Amp Module Schematic.pdf
    Yamaha IG02950 PreDriver Amp Module.pdf

After some searching, I took a chance on a pair of modules I found in Germany. One didn't measure good at all, the other, which had the excess length of the narrow portion of the PCB terminals cut, but long enough, I think, to pass thru the PCB, the power xstrs measured ok, but the Bias Network (a discrete Darlington NPN circuit with a resistor/diode bias string between the top/bottom of the network straddling the bases of the pre-driver xstrs of the output xstr circuit was measuring open circuit.

I had forgotten my Fluke 8060 in Diode Test mode only displays the results on the 2V range, while it's 1mA current source is delivered from an 8VDC source. To measure the full potential of this network, I needed a second DC Voltmeter to display that greater than 2V, found the later revision bias network present in the newer IG02980 module. After measuring the bias network between Pins 7 and 4, I found the bias circuit having an extra semiconductor junction in the network, and WAS measuring good. But, in the CR640 unit there is NO bias adjustment provisions...it's fixed within the Power Amp module. There is a pair of resistors between pins 0 and 7, and between pins 4 and 1, which measure 240 ohms. In the Yamaha circuit, the PreDriver module is coupled to Pins 0 and 1, which includes those 240 ohm resistors, while pins 7 and 4 there is an electrolytic cap across this fixed bias network.....typical of circuits like this in a wide variety of discrete amps.

Being wary of that one module that looked like it might work, I found another supplier who had new IG02980 Power Amp modules and bought those. Brand new, never installed, but they too had this later generation bias network. I installed one of these and proceeded ahead to see if I could adjust the bias, as the other working module had 29mA current flowing thru the emitter resistors (0.47 ohm). The new module's 0.47 ohm emitter resistors had NO Current flowing thru its' emitter resistors. I was UNABLE to get ANY current flow thru them in a Prebias condition. I had tried adjusting a 5k 10-turn helipot across the lower 240 ohm resistor between pins 4 and 1, to see if I could get the voltage across pins 7 and 4 to increase, but without any luck.

The nominal voltage on the Right Ch's IG02980 pins 7 to 4 was 3.71V, with 27.4mV between pins 8 & 3, which is 29mA thru the 0.47 ohm emitter resistors. That of this new IG02980, voltage across Pins 7 and 4 measured 3.26V, and have had no success with increasing that to start turning on the output stage.

The unit DOES Work, driving speaker as well as 8 ohm resistive load. I don't measure any distortion difference. Just has no prebias, and I have NO idea HOW to increase that potential to get some current flow similar to that of the older revision of this IG02980 module.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to trim up these newer power amp modules for similar idle bias current in the output stage?

Attached Files
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

For some reason, I'm denied being able to import the Service Manual for this receiver. I'll try it on this thread. It's not allowing it here either. GRRRRRR!

Service manual is too big, and I wasn't able to copy small segments of the schematic with it going to notepad with the message of it NOT producing a pdf of the small sections.
    Last edited by nevetslab; 04-19-2023, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Here are the pinouts extracted from the manual. Could the 1uF cap between pins 4 and 7 be slightly conductive?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IG02950_IG02980 pinouts.gif Views:	0 Size:	206.1 KB ID:	981032
      Click image for larger version  Name:	CR-640 amp schematic.gif Views:	0 Size:	203.4 KB ID:	981033

Comment

Originally posted by dmeek View Post
        Here are the pinouts extracted from the manual. Could the 1uF cap between pins 4 and 7 be slightly conductive?

Click image for larger version Name:	IG02950_IG02980 pinouts.gif Views:	0 Size:	206.1 KB ID:	981032
        Click image for larger version Name:	CR-640 amp schematic.gif Views:	0 Size:	203.4 KB ID:	981033
        Doubtful. Those caps are brand new on both channels.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
          For some reason, I'm denied being able to import the Service Manual for this receiver. I'll try it on this thread. It's not allowing it here either. GRRRRRR!

Service manual is too big.
          Here is a link: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/68...ha-Cr-640.html

Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
          X