Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Ultra 60 Head - Underrated 1A FB HV (F2) Fuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Ultra 60 Head - Underrated 1A FB HV (F2) Fuse?

I have this Ultra 60 with a blown F2 fuse, it was a 1A fuse and it feeds the HV. The board and schematic states 1A FB.

After replacing with a 1A FB I found nothing else wrong. I am wondering if the fuse should be 2A here, which is what is used in the Ultra Plus 60 amp?

Perhaps 1A is underrated and blew? There is 473 V on the plates.

Thank you, MC

Peavey-Ultra-60-Schematic.pdf

I would have thought a Time Delay fuse would be more appropriate than a Fast Blow. A 2A is not a good idea!
    150u of capacitance to charge up very quickly at switch on ... or does it blow when in use?
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

It came to me with the blown fuse.

It does not blow with the new 1A FB I placed in there. I have had several on/off cycles and have played the amp.

Comment

If you turn the amp ON and the STANDBY is in the OPERATE position, there is a large spike that exceeds 1A.
        Last edited by misterc57; 05-06-2023, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Cartridge fuses DO wear out - every power on they're subject to inrush current and magnetostriction that will eventually cause the element to fatigue.
          Or, it could have blown due to some other transient cause - power tubes often have intermittent shorts that may only occur once the structures have warmed up and sagged, or are vibrated in a particular way.

F1A is already very generous. A 2A fuse would be a very bad idea.

Comment

Without history on this amplifier, it could be a tired fuse.
            If you fit a fuse of th wrong rating and type and the amplifier causes injury or damage, you will be held liable for any damages.
            Fit an F1A 250v Glass fuse from a known seller to be able to sleep at night in the knowledge you did nothing wrong.
            Eventhough a T type fuse would be more appropriate in this situation.
            Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
            If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Good info. 1A FB it is.

Thank you everyone.

MC

Comment

Working...
              X