Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackfacing a SF Bandmaster. Zener diode for B+ drop?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blackfacing a SF Bandmaster. Zener diode for B+ drop?

    I have a Silverfaced Bandmaster head that i'm going to be Black facing. Here are the schematics in question:

    SF (.pdf):
    http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende...c568_schem.pdf

    BF (.gif):
    http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/ba...b763_schem.gif


    Looks like i'll need to drop the B+ about 25V or so (based on the voltages before the rectifier). I haven't gotten in there to actually measure it yet though. I'm wondering what the best way is to go about this. If I were to use a Zener diode, what rating is typically safe for a SS rectified 2 x 6L6 amp?

    Thanks in advance,

    -Nick

  • #2
    Personally I wouldn't get hung up over 25v, if that is the actual voltage difference you are measuring (do this first)? Fenders rarely conform to the voltages listed on the schematic, they are nearly always higher, especially with regard to 50's & 60's amps.

    That said, Torres Engineering has the Zener you need, try 50W 50v, $25.

    Comment


    • #3
      A daft way to drop B+ is to add a tube rectifier I've done this before And it adds to the sound.

      Comment


      • #4
        Mouser has them for about 15-18 bucks.I used the NTE5278AK which is a 56v 50watt.I paid less than $20.I connected it to the center tap and it dropped less than the stated 56 volts,its been a long time so I dont recall the exact drop I got,but I believe it was around 30v.

        Comment


        • #5
          You can use three or four, 8v to 10v 5watt zener diodes in series.

          8v @300ma = 2.5watts for each diode
          10v @300ma = 3 watts for each diode

          They only cost around a dollar each.
          Bruce

          Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by stokes View Post
            Mouser has them for about 15-18 bucks.I used the NTE5278AK which is a 56v 50watt.I paid less than $20.
            Mouser carries almost the whole line and they used to be $14.18. Go online with that number, open the datasheet and then search on the one you want. If you want 25V off, you can get that or close, however, the final B+ will depend on how you set the bias.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by stokes View Post
              I connected it to the center tap and it dropped less than the stated 56 volts,its been a long time so I dont recall the exact drop I got,but I believe it was around 30v.
              Theoretical those diodes should drop 71% of the declarated zener voltage, but in reality it's around 65% - so choose the zener 1.5 times of the intended voltage drop.

              Larry
              The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by novosibir View Post
                Theoretical those diodes should drop 71% of the declarated zener voltage, but in reality it's around 65% - so choose the zener 1.5 times of the intended voltage drop.
                hmm...I suppose it depends on the type of rectification. I got more than the rating drop, however, that was on a full wave bridge instead of the full wave the original poster probably has. I think it's subtracting from the AC swing, not DC after rectification.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fiveightandten View Post
                  I have a Silverfaced Bandmaster head that i'm going to be Black facing. Here are the schematics in question:

                  SF (.pdf):
                  http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende...c568_schem.pdf

                  BF (.gif):
                  http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/ba...b763_schem.gif


                  Looks like i'll need to drop the B+ about 25V or so (based on the voltages before the rectifier). I haven't gotten in there to actually measure it yet though. I'm wondering what the best way is to go about this. If I were to use a Zener diode, what rating is typically safe for a SS rectified 2 x 6L6 amp?

                  Thanks in advance,

                  -Nick
                  Just check the B+ you have in that amp.
                  My bf Bandmaster with export SR PT does have a B+ from about 450 Volts, last sf Bandmaster I did work on did have 420 Volts; somewhat sweeter sounding after blackfacing/etc. for the customer
                  Love, peace & loudness,
                  Chris
                  http://www.CMWamps.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you use the 10 volt zeners at 3 watt ( 300 mA) do have to cool them in this type of amp ?
                    I used some 15 volt zeners in a lighter amp with 2 x el84 to drop about 45 volts and this goes fine without any cooling .
                    But in bigger amps do you use any trick to get rid of the heat ?

                    Alf

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You might look for the 'stud mount' zeners (with reversed polarity!), to get rid of the heat - but that requires to drill a 3/8" hole next to the PT.

                      Larry
                      The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The one I used and the # I posted is a reverse polarity.I've heard of some people drilling a hole thru a couple of pennies and bolting thru them as a kind of heat sink,if you are worried about dissipating more heat.

                        Comment

                        Girls Out West Busty lesbians masturbate ?????? ????????? ???????? ????? ?????????? porno gay audio latino
                        Working...
                        X