Hooking a Charvel to a Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking a Charvel to a Fender

I have a bass amp I bought New, It's a Fender 25 Rumble. I hardly ever use it because I never learned bass. At any rate, I also have a small Charvel practice amp. The Charvel has an effects Loop. Can I hook the both of them together without damaging either one of them?

Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid

Joe

Run the effects send out of the Charvel into the Rumble input. Adjust accordingly. The effects send will likely be hotter than a bass signal, so if there are choices use lower input settings on the Rumble (low input, input pad, etc.).
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Hey Dude,
      Thanks, I'll try that. So I am only using one cable right? I have a stereo Y spit Cable as well, Could or would that make a difference?

"One mans junk is another mans treasure"

Joe

Comment

Generally, my results with Y-cables have been less than spectacular. I always have to turn the volumes on both amps up, because the signal gets cut in half in going to two amps. If you would like to go a similar route to that,unused an ABY box. And that will take 3 cables and an extra box... But, an ABY box has a battery, so there is no signal loss. I modified my box so I could run it off of my pedal power supply - no more batteries - and so that it was easy to get apart for quick battery changes IF needed. Using a box also lets you use each amp completely independent of the other - no interactions between volume & tone controls, etc.

Of course, what The Dude said will work, as will a Y cable...

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Hey Justin,
          Sounds like a wonderful option because I have a A/B/Y Box (Powered) via 9V power source. The only confusing part is; It has TWO INPUTS & ONLY ONE OUTPUT. How do I deal with that issue?

Joe

Comment

Must be a different kind of ABY box... I think mine is the opposite. If it's any help, I've used mine "backwards" without the battery, to plug 2 guitars into one amp, and the switching worked as normal - Instrument A, Instrument B... but that was an in-the-moment emergency decision, and I didn't do any "quality comparisons." I guess if you remove the battery & try it, you won't blow anything up... maybe.

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Yes Justin, I will have to take my time and be very careful with the experimentation. I already have a "Crate" amp I think I fried but thanks to this forum I've just about worked up enough courage to unsolder the Op-Amp chip and replace it.

Joe

Comment

It also matters if the effects loop is serial or parallel by design. If it's series, plugging into a the effects send might interrupt the signal to the power amp. You might have to Y cord off of the effects send with one leg going to the other amp input and one leg going into the effects return. Another way to do it is to use a stereo pedal to drive both amp inputs with the input strapped.

Comment

+1 on the stereo pedal.

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                    It also matters if the effects loop is serial or parallel by design. If it's series, plugging into a the effects send might interrupt the signal to the power amp. You might have to Y cord off of the effects send with one leg going to the other amp input and one leg going into the effects return. Another way to do it is to use a stereo pedal to drive both amp inputs with the input strapped.
                    That is certainly possible, but usually the interrupt/switching jack is on the return and not the send.

Comment

How would I know if the Effects Loop were Parallel vs Serial?

Joe

Comment

Just try it. It'll either work or it won't. You won't hurt anything.

Comment

Dude,
                          Thanks Buddy!! It works great and it was so simple. Now that will be my secondary sound output for my best friend to plug into. We can now jam together....

Thanks Brother
                          Joe

Comment

Working...
                          X