Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next build... Super Champ

Hi All,
    As I've got a little more time on my hands than usual these days, I'm spending time in my shop doing back burner stuff. My next build is gonna be a Super Champ. I've repaired about a half-dozen of these over the years however, I have a friend I play with who has one at his house that I usually play through and I've really gotten to love this amp. Of the Rivera-era Fender amps, which I own quite a few, I think this one (SC) is the best - for what it is - or maybe the Princeton II. Now, this is not to say the others cannot be good amps with a little help, they can but straight out of the box, the Super Champ is a very, very good amp, in its class.

Of course, the Super Champ has its issues: the small box it's in and the 9" reverb pan. But the main problems for me are the lack of an affordable 6C10 compactron triple-triode tube and the fact that the Lead Level (distortion/overdrive channel) borrows so heavily from the reverb circuit, a real compromise in the reverb sound and also doesn't sound all that great anyway.

I've decided to use 2x 12AX7a tubes instead of the 6C10 compactron. The chassis I've chosen has the room and the power transformer has the capacity for one more triode's heater. Now, I won't have to have a compromise reverb sound when I use the Lead Level channel and I can be free to have/design any kind of overdrive I like as I'll be departing from the original design here. Does anyone have any good ideas of circuits to check out in this direction. I'm after a good overdrive sound, not a flat out wild distortion.

I'm not going to be using the proprietary footswitch which is controlled by a Vactrol. But my understanding of the function of this circuit is that the Volume control (with a DPDT switch on it) has to be pulled out first for the footswitch to be able to switch between clean and Lead Level channels, is that correct? Without the footswitch, I can eliminate a handful of power supply parts for the -6.2 Vdc Vactrol circuit. So it'll be a somewhat streamlined, simplified version of the SC but I'm sure I'll re-complicate it when I get the overdrive circuit perfected.

Does anyone have a speaker recommendation for this Super Champ amp? With the cab I've chosen, I cannot fit the EVM-10L speaker (which I prefer) in the cab with the reverb tank being in the way so I'll have to audition various other speakers. I'd like something that isn't too far away from that EVM sound; in my world, one of the great speakers of all time.

Any comments and or opinions are, of course, welcome especially those of you who have travelled down that highway of building your own Super Champ in the past. It's always great to learn from the experiences of others who have been there before.

Bob M.

First of all, I agree that the SC is a great sounding little amp and I won't part with mine. And I think that the OEM speaker (CTS or Pyle, I forgot) is part of this sound. I occasionally played mine through an EVM 12L, but while this increased SPL and improved bass response I prefer the original speaker. If I needed a replacement speaker I would try a Jensen/Recoton P10R (I don't like their ceramic types).
    I don't like/use/need the "Lead" mode. A tubescreamer or Zendrive gives me a much better overdrive sound.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Bob M. View Post
      Hi All, With the cab I've chosen, I cannot fit the EVM-10L speaker (which I prefer) in the cab with the reverb tank being in the way so I'll have to audition various other speakers. I'd like something that isn't too far away from that EVM sound; in my world, one of the great speakers of all time.

Bob M.
      Bob,

Do you actually HAVE an EVM-10L? If not, I wish you luck in finding one as they are as rarer than hen's teeth!
      BOLWTB.....

cheers,

Jack Briggs

sigpic
      www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Of course, I have two - it's like Noah's Ark over here - I think I have two of almost everything (except my '63 Top Boost AC 30 - only one of those) and I got rid of the water buffalo, too messy.
        But I think if you re-read my post, you'll see I'm saying I'm not going to use the EVM in this build and I'll be looking for another speaker, or recommendations for one. Yes, I know they are rare. As we're on the subject, my very favorite EVM of all time is EVM-12S, really, really rare (but also equally great).

Bob M.

Comment

I just noticed that in the layout (posted a link in the other thread) it shows a pair of 500pF caps connected plate to cathode on the first two preamp stages. Also a 560pF cap plate to cathode on the reverb driver.

Link: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...lly#post912269
          Last edited by loudthud; 08-29-2020, 09:22 PM.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by Bob M. View Post
            Of course, I have two - it's like Noah's Ark over here - I think I have two of almost everything (except my '63 Top Boost AC 30 - only one of those) and I got rid of the water buffalo, too messy.
            But I think if you re-read my post, you'll see I'm saying I'm not going to use the EVM in this build and I'll be looking for another speaker, or recommendations for one. Yes, I know they are rare. As we're on the subject, my very favorite EVM of all time is EVM-12S, really, really rare (but also equally great).

Bob M.
            Ahh yes - the 12S. Have one and 2 SROs. I rarely use any of them though. More into the Eminence speakers these days. Although I may to recone that old D131 I have....

cheers,
            Jack Briggs

sigpic
            www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Working...
            X