Orange crush 20 ext spkr jack mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange crush 20 ext spkr jack mod

I got me an Orange Crush 20 a few months ago (My Airstream is kind of small). I've been using it mostly for recording into my DAW (works very well).
    But I noticed that the sound quality coming from the headphone jack was a LOT better than the stock speaker, which is pretty dark sounding.
    The headphone out has a pretty flat frequency output, plus Orange says it has Cab Sim. LOL..
    I wanted to be able to run an external 12" speaker in a cab (or a 2x12), but it doesn't come with any external speaker jack.
    So I punched two 1/2" holes into the chassis, I inserted a 6-lug on-on push button switch and a 1/4" mono jack.
    I clipped the spade ends off the cable going to the speaker and wired it to the switch (center lugs), wired the 1/4" jack to the switch and installed new speaker wires to the speaker.
    Now I can only run it with an 8 ohm speaker, and can use the internal or external speaker. But not both of them. just push the switch and pick which one you want!
    Then I looked around for a different 8 inch speaker. I wanted something with fairly flat response, better sensitivity (louder), and better bass response.
    Decided to chance it and bought a Rockville RM88PRO, 8 inch, 8 ohm speaker, which is actually an automotive audio speaker. Paper cone, pleated paper surround, large dust cap. $29 including shipping!
    It is LOUDER, has more bottom and top end, and can easily handle being cranked to 10. "Opened up" the tonality a lot.

Here's the basic specs:
    1.5” High Temperature CCAR Voice Coil
    90oz. Magnet
    Frequency Response: 88Hz - 6KHz
    Sensitivity: 108dB @ 1w / 1m
    It actually reproduces down to around 30Hz, and up to about 5kHz then drops off significantly after that..
    Took me about an hour total time to do the speaker jack mod and replace the speaker. I also ran pink noise through the amp, measuring the headphone out response, the stock speaker and the RM88PRO.
    Don't pay any attention to the db levels, I was only trying to check frequency response, not db output levels. As you can see the headphone out is really flat!
    And the new speaker has a much larger range than the stock "Orange" speaker, who knows who makes those?
    Anyway, just thought I'd share this in case anyone has one of these amps and wants to make some improvements.
    1937 Gibson L50 "Black Special #4"
    1978 Gibson Melody Maker D Reissue
    2004 Ibanez SZ720FM
    Epi SG '61 with 490R & 498T Pickups
    Couple Marshalls, Crate Blue VooDoo
    Couple 4x12 cabs
    Couple Orange combos
    TONS OF FREAKING TEST GEAR- SCOPES, METERS ,ANALYZERS
    SIG GENS, ETC, ETC, ETC.

Working...
X