Cryogenically treated vacuum tubes...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.G.
    You're quick to seize on minor points and argue them with willful misapprehension, so much so that I suspect disingenuousness in your use of smiley emoticons.

Contrarianism provides more heat than light and is a mystifying behavior different from what long timers here have come to expect of you. Instead, you might simply wrote, "Is not! Is not!", a message of equivalent substance.

As you're quick to conflate my observations with the entirety of Callaham's ad copy and then to extend ridicule by proxy, please feel free to take it up with Callaham himself. I'll be happy to direct him to your derision if you like.
    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Ok... Up to now I've been ignoring that most of the more technically argued points are those I've already iterated, though maybe on a less stringent level. That's fine. Fun thread and I love seeing any cork sniffing debunked. So I'm going to make another point that will probably be discussed and credited to the more technical minds here:

The electrical properties of a metal have more to do with the swapping of electrons than hardened grain structure. When you consider that atom to atom contact isn't dependent on grain structure it's hard to imagine a benefit to any such alignment. Atom to atom electron swapping is working on a much finer level than any grain structure improvement to be considered with the effects of cryogenic treatment. Not to mention that IT DOESN'T APPLY THE METALS USED TO MAKE VACUUM TUBES!!!

As I mentioned earlier, if there were any audio benefits to be garnered from the cryogenic treatment of metals used in electronics there would be a legitimate market for it. Complete with test data.

And as far as I know, rigidity only inspires vibration transfer, sustain and microphonics. That's why they don't make guitars out of rubber!!! The semantics of specific frequencies and circumstances not withstanding, always err on the side of caution. Rigid things resonate and transfer vibration better than less rigid things. I'll stand by that!
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
        R.G.
        You're quick to seize on minor points and argue them with willful misapprehension, so much so that I suspect disingenuousness in your use of smiley emoticons.

Contrarianism provides more heat than light and is a mystifying behavior different from what long timers here have come to expect of you. Instead, you might simply wrote, "Is not! Is not!", a message of equivalent substance.

As you're quick to conflate my observations with the entirety of Callaham's ad copy and then to extend ridicule by proxy, please feel free to take it up with Callaham himself. I'll be happy to direct him to your derision if you like.
        Really?

Have you read the thread? Have you read the links you posted? Who is contriving diversion by being contrary if not yourself?

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Really?

Have you read the thread? Have you read the links you posted? Who is contriving diversion by being contrary if not yourself?
          Chuck,
          From the beginning, I argued that any cryogenic effects would be minor, unimportant, yet you and RG seem obligated to take lengthy issue with an uncontroversial assertion.

That, as I look at it, is beyond simple contrarianism and edges into contentiousness.
          Please stop before you embarrass yourselves further.
          "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

I think everyone's forgetting that the metals in general are terrible for guitar applications. The fragile harmonics can't survive in a crystal lattice, and one quick look at the microstructure reveals just that. QED.

You know, for the cost of a few tubes, a dewar of LN2, and access to a microscope and hardness tester this could all be tested quite easily. Hell, toss in a curve tracer too. I doubt anyone here would be willing to toss away a couple hundred bucks for a piece of paper that says "inconclusive" but...

Comment

This cryogenic treatment business is just silly.

Everyone knows that tubes sound better if you heat them with a blowtorch.

(cue video to 0:45)

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

For a minute after reading this Thread, I would have swore I was on the Pickup Forum.
                All the Pettiness!
                That is what I always liked about the amp forum, everyone gets along.
                Please let's leave the arguing and pettiness in the Pickup Forum!
                Thanks,
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM.
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Mostly I just like ranting about hucksters and snake oil. But I guess I've over done it here.

Comment

Agree -- I always thought that all the snake oil salesmen and hucksters and petty know-it-alls hung out in the pickup forum.

/*ducks for cover*/

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

More meat for the contentious:

"The sky is blue."

Discuss.

Comment

We need a "that was a stupid post" button.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          Mostly I just like ranting about hucksters and snake oil. But I guess I've over done it here.
                          Nah, the OP was specifically about Vacuum Tubes, and that is what you addressed. Whether there are other legit uses for the treatment is a moot point. I understood your comment that it does not apply to the metals used in tubes the first time.
                          It doesn't take a lot of technical chops to understand that such treatment to a vacuum tube is probably similar to cryogenically treated stove elements.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                            It doesn't take a lot of technical chops to understand that such treatment to a vacuum tube is probably similar to cryogenically treated stove elements.
                            And that is a remarkably apt statement. Do you mind if I quote it other places? Very nice, indeed.
                            Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

If the treatment really doesn't do anything, and you can't measure any difference in the tubes, how do we know that they actually did the treatment? Maybe they just stuck the tubes in the refrigerator next to their lunch for a half hour.
                              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just bias them "cold"?
                                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                                X