My Vision of the Future Guitar Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
    I'll play "My Generation" with it and then...well, you know...
    If you need any help stomping on the burning Variax wreckage, just give me a call!

DSP programming is harder than you'd think.
    Tell me about it! Even if DSP theory was easy, the ToneCore thing has a lousy interface for debugging. The animated stomping foot is cool, though.

For the average programmer wanting to get into DSP, you'd probably be better getting a fast computer with a pro audio interface. You can write your DSP algorithms to work with ASIO, VST, Apple Audio Units or whatever, and you can do it in C/C++ with development and debugging tools that actually work. And the luxury of floating point arithmetic!

I said a fast computer, but audio DSP really isn't that demanding, compared to, say, turning the handle on Call Of Duty or Office 2007. When I see the state of software today, it makes me think of a world where engines got so powerful and efficient that Boeing could save money by making their planes out of concrete.

Having said that, I believe the AxeFX uses the Analog Devices TigerSharc DSP chip. That's quite a lot of power, and I bet they didn't specify it just so they could use Visual Basic.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      If you need any help stomping on the burning Variax wreckage, just give me a call!

You'll be the first to know. The solder traces, combined with burning PCB will make an interesting odor.

Comment

hah Mako...
        how could you not want one after that?

Comment

Fractal released version 9 yesterday. The boys on their forum are giddy like school girls.

I may have to sell off everything to get one of those things....

Fractal Audio Systems • View topic - Standard and Ultra Firmware Version 9.00 Released

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/vi...p?f=11&t=11459
          Last edited by Phostenix; 11-20-2009, 03:56 AM. Reason: Added another link
          ST in Phoenix

Comment

My pithy response to any prospective designers out there.

Please add a single button that does ctrl.alt.delete.

IMO modelling amps are great until you realise that they strip the feel from the guitar, no matter what. Give me someone who can play clean with a side portion of reverb any day.

Rob.

- I can sound like Dave Gilmour and can't play for toffee!

Comment

Originally posted by Phostenix View Post
              Fractal released version 9 yesterday. The boys on their forum are giddy like school girls.

I may have to sell off everything to get one of those things....
              Does the new revision have knobs on it now?
              ....no? It's only software you say. hmmm,,,,

The word is that the used one we see on the marked are there only because
              the owners are upgrading to the Ultra. I know for a fact that this is not true.
              Although they're great units they are not for everyone and players I've heard
              using them here locally sounds like lifeless clones.
              But that I think is more a problem with the player than the equipment.
              Or maybe not. Digital stored presets might do that type of harm to a player?

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Puppet View Post

IMO modelling amps are great until you realise that they strip the feel from the guitar, no matter what.
                Originally posted by zzzapfizzz View Post
                ... players I've heard
                using them here locally sounds like lifeless clones.
                That seems to be what all the excitement is about - that the new update is a vast improvement to the sound of the sims. And coming from people who have been using the Fractal, it sounds very promising. I was struck by how much improvement users are reporting.

Originally posted by zzzapfizzz View Post
                Does the new revision have knobs on it now?
                ....no? It's only software you say. hmmm,,,,
                I thought that, too, but I'm finding that on the GT-Pro, I use the knobs less & less. Because of the fact that the physical knobs never match up with the settings of a particular patch, I'm finding it simpler to just use the arrows to select a parameter and spin the big knob (that doesn't have stops) to adjust. You have 2 choices of how the knobs will respond when you turn them, but neither are very elegant, IMHO.
                ST in Phoenix

Comment

That drives me nuts.

I don;t feel good trying to accept that knobs are relegated to only being adjusters. I still want my knobs to be adjusters AND indicators.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    That drives me nuts.

I don;t feel good trying to accept that knobs are relegated to only being adjusters. I still want my knobs to be adjusters AND indicators.
                    I agree.
                    A couple of years back I both the BCF2000 with the intention to program it for my TC G-Major.
                    ...sadly I never got around to do it.
                    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHHpHU-JgTg&feature=related"]YouTube- Three BCF2000's - ROCK SOLID STUDIOS[/ame]

Something like this with a few more buttons, wider screen and the hw audio parts and software from the Fractal
                    SM Pro Audio: V-Pedal

Comment

How about this ???

design and build a choke driven split mode IPA PI using small signal power tubes, using electronic volume controls for each outout. In mode 1, the dry signal and wet signal are non-mixed, each driving one power amp tube in class A, thus mixing the two in the primary coil of the output transformer. Thus, the wet signal is totally isolated from the dry signal. In mode 2, both inputs are mixed inside the IPA, and driving both power tubes in class A/B ?
                      Mode 1 for rhythm, and mode 2 for lead.....

-g

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        That drives me nuts.

That's where the virtual faceplate shines, IMO. Rotary encoders with a circular LCD around them that has the indicator is another option.

That V-Pedal is another interesting implementation to try to make the interface more "typical".
                        ST in Phoenix

Comment

Originally posted by mooreamps View Post
                          How about this ???

design and build a choke driven split mode IPA PI using small signal power tubes, using electronic volume controls for each outout. In mode 1, the dry signal and wet signal are non-mixed, each driving one power amp tube in class A, thus mixing the two in the primary coil of the output transformer. Thus, the wet signal is totally isolated from the dry signal. In mode 2, both inputs are mixed inside the IPA, and driving both power tubes in class A/B ?
                          Mode 1 for rhythm, and mode 2 for lead.....

-g
                          2 modes and no effects? It'll never sell.

ST in Phoenix

Comment

Not sure if this is a welcome addition to this thread, but I thought it might be relative.

Has anyone tried making, or thought of making a modeling amp that was a circuit modeler instead of a soundwave modeler? That point I'm getting to, is that a tube amp with digitally controlled circuits might stand a much better chance of imitating all the other amps out there.

The main downside I see is that you're still limited to what tubes you have in the amp. If you wanted it to cover the sound of most amps you'd need EL84's EL34's 6L6's 6V6's KT88's etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollum View Post
                              Has anyone tried making, or thought of making a modeling amp that was a circuit modeler instead of a soundwave modeler?
                              I think Cliff Chase at Fractal is doing something like that. He made a comment about one of the amp sims being made from the schematic of the amp, not a model of a real one. In some of the interviews with him, he talks about modelling the transfer characteristics of tubes as the basis of his sims at the beginning. It makes me think he's using a combination of things.
                              ST in Phoenix

Comment

If you are looking to toy with the circuitry, look into Peavey's Revalver software based circuits. You can download a demo.
                                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                                X