Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on my Champ build again different question( adding a filter cap )?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on my Champ build again different question( adding a filter cap )?

Right now I have a res cap of 47uf and used a NOS 5Y3 . I do have a 47 ohm resister between the rest pin 8 and the res cap to slow the inrush and help the 5Y3 from seeing a short . I thought I would add a 22uf before the 47uf res cap and I know I need a dropper or I would only add 47uf to 22uf . Can I use a small value resister sort of like the way a choke is used , perhapes a 5 or 10 watt wire wound . I don't want to add too much resistence because I don't want to lower the B+ much at all . It would perhaps make the 22 uf the res cap rather than the 47uf . I have seen larger fender amps with a rect tube and two 20uf caps in parallel before the choke and after the standby switch. It's not that the amp is not quiet it is. I felt like using a small value resister so not to drop the B+ much at all would be fine since it's not a node feeding different amp stages .

The short answer, yes you can use a low value resistor.

But, you say the amp is quiet, so there is no need. Put your soldering iron down, plug in and enjoy. Start thinking about your next project!
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      The short answer, yes you can use a low value resistor.

But, you say the amp is quiet, so there is no need. Put your soldering iron down, plug in and enjoy. Start thinking about your next project!
      My next project is plugging in and playing . I already have two amps I built and they are enough for me and I have done all I can do to make them they way I like yet they are simple builds all fender in nature . I guess the next project is to get a better 10" speaker for my home brew Champ at least better than the jensen C10R , something more focused on lows and mids and tame highs.

Comment

Why not use a choke ?

Comment

Working...
        X