Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enzo
    replied
    When people like Fender wired the chassis, they used layout convenience, not protocol. The mains cord came in and solder one end to the fuse holder, the other end to the switch.

Actually, if you hold a fuse and insert it, if the tip inside is hot, your could get a shock, but if the sleeve is hot, you will touch that as you go in. SO either way you can get a shock if the unit is powered. And that is part of why modern fuse holders have the fuse farther recessed.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    Originally posted by Axtman View Post
    Interesting. I had never thought of that.

I do know it is good to not run the power directly to the "tip" of the fuse holder. That way someone does not get shocked putting the fuse in.
    Well you only need to be holding the fuse to connect to the "bottom" of the fuse holder. Maybe most guys actually stick a fuse into the cap and then insert it, but I'll bet there are plenty of cases where someone just sticks the fuse in with their fingers and then tries to install the cap.

Fender tends toward putting the switch first. Marshall and others tend toward putting the fuse first. I lean toward putting the switch first. I think the switch shorting to the lever is less likely than someone holding the end of the fuse while inserting it. Maybe it would be better to have two fuses.?.

Leave a comment:

• Axtman
    replied
    Interesting. I had never thought of that.

I do know it is good to not run the power directly to the "tip" of the fuse holder. That way someone does not get shocked putting the fuse in.

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied
    The 'plus' of putting the switch first is in case someone tries to change the fuse having turned off the switch, but forgetting to unplug the unit. Now there is now power at the fuse holder.

Leave a comment:

• Axtman
    started a topic Fuse before switch or vice versa?

Fuse before switch or vice versa?

I believe that the fuse should go before the power switch when hooking up the black (hot) wire of the power cord.

The only exception would be if there is a convenience outlet. Then the outlet should be wired before the fuse. That way equipment plugged into the outlet (drawing too much current or faulty) won't blow the amp fuse.

That said I have seen a few modern or redrawn schematics where the power switch is the first thing on the black wire then the fuse.
Working...
X