Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo_Gnardo
    replied
    There's a sort of good idea. You would have a bit of a rise in B+ for the output tube pair left running. I'll leave it to you whether you make a more complicated compensation for that when the amp's running one channel only. I'd say don't sweat it, chances are pretty good the bias current won't go way out of whack, but it is bound to rise a chunk, when you go single channel.

I can see shutting off filament current to the "sleeping" output tubes too, if you're worried about cathode poisoning which may take place in tubes left filament on with no B+ if left that way for extended time.

Leave a comment:

• Justin Thomas
    replied
    They're not that heavy. Of allmy amps the Bassman 100 has the record - the OT is 2x the size of the PT.

Jusrin

Leave a comment:

• nosaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    Nah, I don't THINK so! I've already got the PT from the original amp. If I hafta end up adding a filament tranny, I will.

And I've got a Fender Twin Reverb tranny sitting at home anyway.

Thanks, though!

Justin
    You know if push ever comes to shove i think you can workout with the PT and the OT.
    nosaj

Leave a comment:

• Justin Thomas
    replied
    Originally posted by nosaj View Post
    You need the PT from an Evil twin I've been hanging on to, to run that?

nosaj
    Nah, I don't THINK so! I've already got the PT from the original amp. If I hafta end up adding a filament tranny, I will.

And I've got a Fender Twin Reverb tranny sitting at home anyway.

Thanks, though!

Justin

Leave a comment:

• Justin Thomas
    replied
    Harold,

I was just wondering if having the dual Standby switches would be okay to just "shut down" one side of the amp if I don't have a stereo cab or two cabs. If I only run one side, I'd like to keep the other side "safe" without having to plug in a dummy loa or some other switching thing. I could add a heater switch for each side also if that would help keep the tubes alive longer.

The only thing that would be "on" all the time would be the negative bias supply for the EL84s.

So I was just asking whether the switching arrangement would work.

Justin

Leave a comment:

• nosaj
    replied
    Originally posted by HaroldBrooks View Post
    Justin, this doesn't answer any questions directly, but I have recently come into possession of a very similar stereo Zenith amp (2 x EL84 per side, 12ax7s and 5U4GB). It uses a rather large common PT and I've made some changes so I could use it as a guitar amp. The chassis I have only contains one 12AX7 used as a second stage and a PI. The schematic lists the 12AX7 as a 6FQ7, and that was changed at one time or another. ] The amp sounds great by the way, and I am amazed that I missed out on EL84 tubes for all these years. I had some irrational bias towards skinny tubes, but no more !

The Zenith stereo output transformer configuration is an odd one, but I will leave it to you extract anything that might be helpful or [B]useful in some other way.[/B

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58002[/ATTACH]
    Silvertone 1485 is another dual OT config

Leave a comment:

• nosaj
    replied
    Here's what I was thinking...
    You need the PT from an Evil twin I've been hanging on to, to run that?

nosaj

Leave a comment:

• HaroldBrooks
    replied
    Justin, this doesn't answer any questions directly, but I have recently come into possession of a very similar stereo Zenith amp (2 x EL84 per side, 12ax7s and 5U4GB). It uses a rather large common PT and I've made some changes so I could use it as a guitar amp. The chassis I have only contains one 12AX7 used as a second stage and a PI. The schematic lists the 12AX7 as a 6FQ7, and that was changed at one time or another.

The amp sounds great by the way, and I am amazed that I missed out on EL84 tubes for all these years. I had some irrational bias towards skinny tubes, but no more !

The Zenith stereo output transformer configuration is an odd one, but I will leave it to you extract anything that might be helpful or [B]useful in some other way.[/B

Oh, and there is another one RIGHT NOW for sale on ebay for what I consider inexpensive, (if you don't mind dealing with the odd output transformer arrangement). The PT alone should be worth the purchase IMHO : https://www.ebay.com/i/223704672737?...yABEgKpLvD_BwE

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zenith 7D31 Schematic (Stereo EL84).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	857423
    Last edited by HaroldBrooks; 04-12-2020, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Justin Thomas
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Justin Thomas
    started a topic Dual Power Supplies?

Dual Power Supplies?

Hi All,

Making an amp with 2 OTs from an old tone cabinet chassis. This is gonna be a head, so I may not brme able to run 2 cabs/separate speakers at all times.

Thinking to put 2 Standby switches, one each to cut the B+ to the CT of each OT. Would also have each respective following power supply node downstream of that amp's Standby switch. Basically, two separate & complete parallel supplies.

I'm trying to make it so I don't have to worry about dummy loads or always having a speaker attached to whichever amp I'm not using.

Alsothinking to include heater switching for each side? That way any side I'm not using can basically be totally shut off...

I have a roomy chassis & radial caps are tiny & cheap. Rectifier is a 5U4GB. I'll see if I can attach a pic from my phone; values can be determined later. This amp is also for me, as I need something a bit less powerful
    2xEL84, 2x12AX7 per side.

Thanks,

Justin
Working...
X