No announcement yet.

DC cathodyne splitter as a gain stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok... A little full disclosure. Biasing hot in the circuit examples was something I arrived at while trying to get what looked like a reasonable waveform. With the 220k plate for the previous stage and 100k plate and cathode on the cathodyne the grid bias looks to be about -.5V. In a typical DC coupled cathodyne with all symmetrical loads of, let's say, 100k the bias is about -1.2V.

Since the goal of the OP is to get that particular distortion of the cathodyne used with a post PI master I ran some more sims to see how this might be accomplished. Taking teemuck's tip that we're trying to simulate a whole amp here. Below in the first simulation is the circuit output at the load on the OT when using a -1.2V biased cathodyne and a post PI master.

Click image for larger version  Name:	po1.PNG Views:	0 Size:	10.4 KB ID:	919966

Rather than employ diodes or feeding both DC coupled cathodyne outputs to a differential amplifier I found that the plate output of a hot biased cathodyne (with the cathode of the cathodyne loaded) seems to get pretty close. So I think the easiest solution would be to simply feed this plate output to a following PI through a master volume control.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hotplate1.PNG Views:	0 Size:	10.3 KB ID:	919967
    Last edited by Chuck H; 12-08-2020, 01:22 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Chuck! You are the boss. That looks close enough for rock, and I'm eager to try it out. I know it depends on the B+, but what values did you use in the sim for the cathodyne and preceding DC coupled stage? And to be clear, this is with hot a bias of .5V that got you close to the actual cathodyne with 1.2V bias?

Comment

Working...
      X