Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vox Defiant/Conqueror/Supreme cabinet replacement screws. Where can I get them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Defiant/Conqueror/Supreme cabinet replacement screws. Where can I get them?

I have a '67 Defiant. The preamp chassis is isolated/covered/enclosed with a piece of sheet metal and 6 machine screws are used to hold them together. When I bought the amp there were only 2 left out of six. I am trying to locate replacements. The width of the screw appears to be #6, and on an American thread gauge the thread pitch measures 38. The width does not match any metric number so I take that to mean that this is not a metric screw.

I cannot find these danged things. Are they perhaps Whitworth screws? I don't know enough about that scale to be able to figure out what to buy for a replacement. Does anyone know about these things and where to buy them?

Thanks

How about a picture along side a ruler?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      How about a picture along side a ruler?

There's really nothing to show. It is a machine screw, length 1/4", width is #6, thread pitch 38. Screw head is slot "cheese" type, which is a similar to the pan top but with cylindrical sides. For replacements I really don't care what the screw head is like as long as it is not oval or countersunk.

Thanks

Comment

So the problem is that #6 screws come in 32 or 40 pitch? For sure it's not 40?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ok, apparently there is a British Association measurement, 4BA that is 38 tpi.
          British Tools & Fasteners, LLC
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
            Ok, apparently there is a British Association measurement, 4BA that is 38 tpi.
            British Tools & Fasteners, LLC
            Looks good! THanks for the link. Of course they are out. 4BA x 1/4, but I have to see if the screw diameter is correct.
            Last edited by cthulhu; 03-23-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

All the vintage Vox amps I've ever seen have BA threads. My favourite thread of all time (doesn't everyone have a favourite thread?). Lots of British manufacturers continued to use BA into the 70s - there were a good many years of parallel running with ISO Metric before supplies of BA fasteners began to decline. Still used here in England for model engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                All the vintage Vox amps I've ever seen have BA threads. My favourite thread of all time (doesn't everyone have a favourite thread?). Lots of British manufacturers continued to use BA into the 70s - there were a good many years of parallel running with ISO Metric before supplies of BA fasteners began to decline. Still used here in England for model engineering.
                I had never even heard of "BA"= British Association specs until this thread. Is that part of Whitworth?

Comment

Whitworth is a coarse thread, very close to UNC. BA is a relatively fine thread that was used mainly for small-scale work such as scientific instruments and the like. The largest size 0BA is 6mm diameter with a 1mm pitch. Its a well thought-out system of sizes and thread pitch and I still use it quite a bit.

When you get old British equipment of any kind it's almost 100% that the smaller threads with be BA. Larger ones will generally be BSF or Whitworth.

The problem with standards is that there's so many.

Comment

Found this older post while doing an internet search since I need similar screws to secure the sheet metal housing for a British Vox Foundation SS head. All mine are missing so my question is if the 4BA turned out to be the correct ones?

I also need some 3/4" countersunk (flat head) screws that are missing on a Goodmans Midax horn. On the few original ones I have, the head diameter is 7 mm across and the threads measure 4 mm across overall. I originally thought these might be 2BA but based on charts I found on the net, I'm now thinking they are actually 3BA. Was wondering if anyone had any experience on which might be the correct BA for the Midax horn.

I was also interested in the comment that all vintage Vox amps have BA threads. For some reason I assumed the back panel screws for British Vox amps were Whitworth.

I found this place in the UK to order my BA screws once I figure out which ones I actually need which will be less expensive than ordering from the US company, at least for small orders: https://www.ba-bolts.co.uk
                    Last edited by INB555; 09-16-2020, 01:59 AM.

Comment

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/vox/hardware/index.html
                      Cabinet Hardware for Vox Amps

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/vox/hardware/misc_hardware.html
                      Screws and Fasteners for Vox Amplifiers

It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                      X