Stromberg - Carlson PA Amp MOD for guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stromberg - Carlson PA Amp MOD for guitar

I got this old PA amp from my boating neighbor. His father used it to mic-up his saxophone in a polka band back in the 50’s-60. When I opened up the OT, the date Nov 11 1946 was stamped on the inside cover. It’s a 30 watt, Class AB, Cathode Bias w/ 2) 6SC7, 1 6J5 preamp and a pair of 6L6 Power tubes (I was able to get a schematic for this thing on ebay). He dug it out of his attic were it’s been for the last 20 years. It had about 1/8” thick of packed fine dust inside, on top of the chassis. The output transformer was cooked; all of the caps were dried out. Somebody installed a sorting wire on the preamp 6SC7 cathode to ground. I managed to save pretty much everything else. I made a few mods: raised the voltage on the preamp tubes to 95V from 65V (increased the voltage divider from 47K to 100K) and increased the gain a little(removed the shorting wire from cath resister; was 1.5K changed to 820ohms w/50mf cap) and changed the plate load res from 330K to 270K as well. It had two identical channels (Mic 1 and Mic 2) so I made one channel a bright channel (I forgot to make a sound sample of it) by installing a 500 pf coupling capacitor (sounds too British; I’m going to tweak it a little more with a .022mf). Let me tell you, I love the sound of this thing. I hooked it to a cab with Weber vintage 12 in and stuck a SM57 in front of it and here is a very quick sample and some photos
    OK, I'll have to figure out how to attach an MP3 file for the sound sample
    Attached Files

Nice...I coulda' had a newer version that was just lying around the warehouse of a place I worked back in the 80's.
    But I was into the new fangled tranzeester amps!

Comment

Thanks, yeh, you and most of us that were around back then went the way of the transistor amp. It's funny how things go in cycles. Some day there will be a vintage transister amp forum and they will be talking about the GREAT TONE of the early transistors.
      Normy

Comment

Working...
      X