Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the twin reverb backface 80s all by hand wired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chunli1900
    replied
    oh this is really a good point

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    That's a fine amp. Really loud and good clean tone. Speaking for myself, and most other players I think, the overdrive tones are nothing to write home about. But that's the point of this amp. Just as a Ferrari is a fine four wheeled machine, but it's towing capacity leaves something to be desired

It's alright. That's what they make dirt boxes for.

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied
    Also important to define what you mean by 'hand wired'. Some of the pcb amps still have the boards wired up to the tube sockets by hand. Technically that would be hand-wired I think? Or an amp that used pc board but was all hand soldered, that would be just as 'hand-wired' as eyelet board, wouldn't it?
    So maybe you mean 'does it use PC board?'.

Leave a comment:

• chunli1900
    replied
    Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    All Twin Reverbs up to and including the "II" series were hand-wired on eyelet boards. Of course, all Twin Amps from BEFORE the Twin Reverb came out in 63 also were.

I don't know when the 65 Reissue Twin Reverb came out; I thought it was early 90s? Anyway, after Fender was sold by CBS & became FMIC, the Twins were PCB, starting with the Red-Knob series. But those are not Twin Reverbs.

The specific early-80s Twin Reverb is as Chuck said - a late 70s Silverface model with a BF control panel, easily identified by horizontal script on the amp name (Twin Reverb) and a "MADE IN USA" line under the Fender logo on the grill.

These are also the "terrible" 135W models that supposedly "nobody wants."

Jusrin
    thanks so much guys! really appreciated for the help.
    so is this twin reverb around 81-82? which was by hand wired? thanks

also i could hardly see the demo of this amp...

Leave a comment:

• Justin Thomas
    replied
    All Twin Reverbs up to and including the "II" series were hand-wired on eyelet boards. Of course, all Twin Amps from BEFORE the Twin Reverb came out in 63 also were.

I don't know when the 65 Reissue Twin Reverb came out; I thought it was early 90s? Anyway, after Fender was sold by CBS & became FMIC, the Twins were PCB, starting with the Red-Knob series. But those are not Twin Reverbs.

The specific early-80s Twin Reverb is as Chuck said - a late 70s Silverface model with a BF control panel, easily identified by horizontal script on the amp name (Twin Reverb) and a "MADE IN USA" line under the Fender logo on the grill.

These are also the "terrible" 135W models that supposedly "nobody wants."

Jusrin

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    I think the only "80's" black face amps were a change to black face plates on the same models as the SF amps in 80 and 81 and if Leo pegged the reissue date then that would be 89. I think anything in between would have been a II model? So not a "Twin Reverb" but a "Twin Reverb II" and I believe those were done on eyelet boards like the older amps.

Leave a comment:

• Leo_Gnardo
    replied
    As far as I know, all Twins hand wired up until Fender started their reissue Twin Reverb around 1989.

Leave a comment:

• Is the twin reverb backface 80s all by hand wired?

as topic. appreciated if anyone could tell.
    thanks everyone
Working...
X