Big vintage celestion Q.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big vintage celestion Q.

Hi- a friend who passed away has left me (via a friend) an old celestion15" 16ohm 30w. He mentioned it was a peach. I was hoping an 8ohm as most amps afaict are geared for. So @16ohm, what could this be used for? my friend John was a talented hammond player who jammed with bonham & plant in his heyday in west brum, I think just before band of joy, or he was an occasional player in the band: so might well have been on stage with half of the future led zep! Id like to keep as a reminder of him but its big, & 16ohms. Hmm..

cheers SC

Plenty of amps have 16-ohm speaker taps. And most amps that have 8-ohm taps will play nicely with 16 ohm loads. Do you have an amp in mind?
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
      Plenty of amps have 16-ohm speaker taps. And most amps that have 8-ohm taps will play nicely with 16 ohm loads. Do you have an amp in mind?
      Erm.. well no I don't. But its good to hear that maybe its safe to use it into an 8ohm amp, more 'useable' than if if were a 4 ohm (tho I guess this/ cannot actually understand it). I am thinking what to do with it. I have a twin reverb & a vox ac15 tbx. I don't suppose its any use with these.

This ohm thing. drives me bonkers. Its yet another thing I cannot fathom with amps, why there are differences at all, what is the difference between an 8ohm & a 16ohm.. probably hence my probably naiive Q in the OP. And why there can't just be an adaptor between so you can use any spkr into amp.

Comment

Ok so there's an adaptor gadget.

It doesn't answer why there are these 3 different 'ohm' variants. Why these consistantly the same 3 numbers. What's the diffrence between one and the next. Why atrent all amps just the same damn one (your UK voltage amp is a 240v, so is mine, we don't have a 110, 175, and 240v to dick around with & complicate matters).

Comment

Dear colleague
          Impedance matching transformer is not a main transformer.
          The impedance matching transformer is placed between the amplifier and the speaker box, it serves to match the impedance of the amplifier to the speaker impedance.
          It's All Over Now

Comment

Someone help me out here..

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
              Dear colleague
              Impedance matching transformer is not a main transformer.
              The impedance matching transformer is placed between the amplifier and the speaker box, it serves to match the impedance of the amplifier to the speaker impedance.
              Yes yes. I know where such an adaptor is likely to go (if it adapts, it cant go anywhere else than between!).

Vintagekiki, you are knowledgeable far beyond me on all this. And you are very kind to try & help me. But you answer a completely different question to the one I ask.

I am asking why there are these 3 different ohm values. Why can't amps be the same? etc (the Q's are in my posts, prior to your answers).

I drive a 1.2l ford Ka. And I drive a 1.8l vw boring. I do not have to choose different petrol for each car. I use the same stuff for both. I have a hand blender whizzer. And I have a turbo vac monster. We do not plug into different voltage sockets because one is 25w and the other is 2000w. We use the same 240v stuff for both.

But amps... seems different & play their own strange tune (IE there appears to be only 3 models 4/8/16 & each has to use different amp stuff). Why??

Comment

http://webdata.psru.ac.th/~pisut/tims%20file/dummies%20books/Electronics%20for%20DUMmIES.pdf
                It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                  I am asking why there are these 3 different ohm values.
                  The answer to your question is why not all the fingers on the hand are the same, but still all the fingers work in harmony.
                  Amplifiers and speakers impedances are defined by technical standards (mainly 4/8/16 Ohm)
                  What will be the ohm values of an amplifier depends on the free choice of the manufacturer's development engineer.
                  The speakers are produced in 3 different ohm values so that they can be interconnected to adapt to the amplifier in terms of both power and impedance.
                  For low power amplifiers, one speaker is enough, for high power amplifiers, use a box with 2 or 4 speakers

The translation is machine; https://translate.google.com
                  It's All Over Now

Comment

Ok I'm getting somewhere, because this is understandable "The speakers are produced in 3 different ohm values so that they can be interconnected"

But the rest I do not understand, most is just not comprehensible (are you using a translate thing?).

Nevermind. Back to the original Q. The speaker. What would be good uses for it, for a guitar amp set up? or is it not conjusive & really only a hammond organ speaker or something (presuming this is what he used it with).

Comment

Back to the original Q.
                      See where the marshall has installed an impedance matching transformer on its amp 2098 JMP Lead, so that it can use a speaker of any ohmic value without loss of power.

https://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2200-pwr.gif
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

If you wantbto honor/remember your late friend, which I find commendable, best woukd be to actually *build* an amp for it.
                        Not a milliong gazingies one but a simple, reliable and tasty VOX AC4

You may build it as a Combo housing your 15" celestion or as separate head/cabinet, your choice.

You donīt even need to house the amp in a headshell, just builf the chassis and leave it on a table to play.

http://www.chambonino.com/work/vox/vox6.html

looks very doable in a few Winter afternoons:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vox6c.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	914585

and of course, they are DESIGNED for 16 ohm speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eBzhSYPOOM
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                          See where the marshall has installed an impedance matching transformer on its amp 2098 JMP Lead, so that it can use a speaker of any ohmic value without loss of power.

https://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2200-pwr.gif
                          Vintagekiki. This wasn't the original Q. I wasn't originally asking about why the difference in ohms. I was asking what could I use the speaker for.

I Later went on to try asking about why there are impedence differences etc etc, & if there is an 'adaptor'. You answered this, yes there -is- actually an adaptor (but now you're here talking about "loss of power" -whatever that means I have no idea, or its relevance to anything- using schematics I cannot understand).

Sorry I can't cope with this. Thanks- you are nothing if not very kind & try to be very helpful this is obvious.. but I just can't get anywhere if I ask a Q & you answer a different Q.

Comment

I was asking what could I use the speaker for.
                            We did not understand.
                            You can use the speaker for whatever you want within its power and resistance, for example as ext spkr; monitor spkr ... ...
                            It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                            X