Big vintage celestion Q.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    You may build it as a Combo housing your 15" celestion or as separate head/cabinet, your choice.
    Great suggestion Juan.
    My humble help to your suggestion.
    https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/schematic-requests/9467-links-to-vox-schematics?p=603276#post603276
    It's All Over Now

Comment

"We did not understand" ?? who the heck are "we"? what on earth does this mean?! how can you not understand my OP? jeepers man. Come on vintagekiki: you cannot reply with sentences one after another that are incomprehensible. It is impossible to form the basis of communication like this.

I undersatnd the power thing, do not exceed the 30w with the amp's 30w. The resistance thing.. as Ive explained, I do not understand. I actually do not understand extention speakers tbh (why the need to 'extend'?) & as for monitor speakers I do not know what these actually are or have any relevance to gtr amps. Studio monitors?

Ok I really cannot cope now!

Thx anyway- SC.

Comment

Sorry I can notice it's not a problem in incomprehensible communication, problem is in your ignorance of electronics.
        It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
          "We did not understand" ?? who the heck are "we"?
          "We" are the two people in his avatar

If you don't want to build an AC4 you could look for a used Valve Junior head. It has 4,8 and 16 ohm outputs. I use mine all the time at home.

Comment

Back to the original question: "an old celestion15" 16ohm 30w."
            Is the speaker in a cabinet?
            At a power rating of 30 watts, any amp with an output power above that rating will kill it at full volume.

Comment

"We did not understand" ?? who the heck are "we"? what on earth does this mean?! how can you not understand my OP? jeepers man. Come on vintagekiki: you cannot reply with sentences one after another that are incomprehensible. It is impossible to form the basis of communication like this.

I undersatnd the power thing, do not exceed the 30w with the amp's 30w. The resistance thing.. as Ive explained, I do not understand. I actually do not understand extention speakers tbh (why the need to 'extend'?) & as for monitor speakers I do not know what these actually are or have any relevance to gtr amps. Studio monitors?

Ok I really cannot cope now!

Thx anyway- SC.
              Who the heck are YOU by the way?

Rude ignorant on the edge of getting the taste of a boot in the seat of your pants.
              Not the first time by the way.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                Back to the original question: "an old celestion15" 16ohm 30w."
                Is the speaker in a cabinet?
                At a power rating of 30 watts, any amp with an output power above that rating will kill it at full volume.

Hi JP.. well effectively no not in a cabinet. I have just rcvd it, & its actually a 12" not a 15" (was told its a big'un watchout.. so assumed 15").

Is that any more useable? yes I hadn't thought of putting it in the twin reverb to replace one jensen new 12" things in there if thats what you're hinting at.

It has a code on: T12 87 maybe? tricky to see last 2 digits. Also MF 14 stamped next to this on a leg, also a small stamped circle with unreadable 3 numbers next to.

Ity checks out at 14.6 ohms.

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                  Sorry I can notice it's not a problem in incomprehensible communication, problem is in your ignorance of electronics.
                  Ok vintagekiki, I agree with last part that I am ignorant of electronics. I do appreciate your trying to help, & apologies if I get a little frrustrated understanding your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post

"We" are the two people in his avatar

If you don't want to build an AC4 you could look for a used Valve Junior head. It has 4,8 and 16 ohm outputs. I use mine all the time at home.

Is 'building an AC4' a viable suggestion, & uses a 16 ohm speaker? Not a bad idea on the VJ front.. altho I wasn't a fan of quality of components & box, sound I thought was flat & lifeless too, but, this could've been my lowly spkr I used with it ~ way back when.

Ok so if I had a head with three 4/8/16 taps, & 3 identical speakers in a switching box, powered each speaker singularly in turn as a sound test.. what would I expect to see as difference?

Comment

Not a bad idea on the VJ front.. altho I wasn't a fan of quality of components & box, sound I thought was flat & lifeless too, but, this could've been my lowly spkr I used with it ~ way back when.

Ok so if I had a head with three 4/8/16 taps, & 3 identical speakers in a switching box, powered each speaker singularly in turn as a sound test.. what would I expect to see as difference?
                      The VJ can be muddy especially the early ones but a few simple mods will fix that.

I'd expect your 3 identical speakers to sound almost the same.

Speakers are made in the range 4 to 16 ohms because I think there could be problems making the voice coils outside that range (Juan would know)
                      They come in 4, 8 and 16 ohms for convenience. For example if all amps were 8 ohms and all speakers were 8 ohms you couldn't have a 2 x 12" cabinet that matched the amp.

Comment

hi Dave H. Ok now I get the convenience thing re. speakers' ohms ratings. What I don't get then is why amps arent all 8 ohms then.

Comment

I think that's a pretty valid question. It would make things a lot easier. But it's not easy getting manufacturers to agree on standardized parts. It would be a lot easier if there were only one rim size for car tires too.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            I think that's a pretty valid question. It would make things a lot easier. But it's not easy getting manufacturers to agree on standardized parts. It would be a lot easier if there were only one rim size for car tires too.

I think there must be more of an 'inherrant' reason why mfrs choose a 16 ohm amp for a AC4 for eg (if this is 16 ohms) other than we want a bit bigger xyz. Surely the circuit must be constrained to a certain 'ohm' output by way nof its design.

Anyway- back to the OP. Is this (12") clestion any good? lord knows what greenback, black, cream, grey (&yellow too is it) -back celestions is a minefield of complication let alone vintage & dates & feck knows what stamp numbers signify what. John always said it was a great spkr. I think it was one of a pair he had.. shame I can't get dibs on t'other > then I can use an 8ohm amp.

8 ohm amps do tend to be the most, I think that's true: there must be a reason for this.

Comment

Let's try to get back to the topic.
                              Let someone reminded us what is the problem with Big vintage celestion, so let's solve it somehow.
                              A vain story leads nowhere.
                              It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                                Let's try to get back to the topic.
                                Let someone reminded us what is the problem with Big vintage celestion, so let's solve it somehow.
                                A vain story leads nowhere.
                                Please vintagekiki, I have asked as politely as I can to please not reply, as I just cannot understand your posts & it is hugely frustrating: & I have also asked you to not write personal xyz too (suggesting that I am vain/ my 'story' is vain.. is a personal comment).

I have thanked you for trying to help, so please, let that be enough said now. Ok?

Its better this, I think, than putting you on ignore after your (most of the posts) genuinely good intent.

Comment

Working...
                                X